• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally Bit the Bullet

bwsmith

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
111   0
Reaction score
HA HA ......... I made a funny! :dance:

I finally broke down and got the Lee Reloading kit and a set of Lee Dies, but now I need a little guidance on where to start with my .308 rounds. I am heading to Bass Pro this weekend to get reloading provisions. I think am going to start with Hornady 165gr SST and wanted recommendations on powder and primer. I am shooting out of a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. Trying to dial in a good hunting round. I was thinking maybe H-Varget.

There are alot of good loads, when you go I would pick up one of Hogdens new magazine manuals. They are around $8 and another good all around book is the Lyman. The good thing about reloading is finding the load your rifle likes best. Congrats on your equipment!! It is always nice to have more reloaders out there to trade with lol

If you have the opportunity too......do some research on what powder, primers, bullets you want to start out with and catch one of the gun shows. You will pay a whole lot less in supplies than you will pay at BPS.....no offense to BPS.....but it is what it is....

Varget and AA4064 both good powders I shoot in my 30.06's. Should also do well in .308. I use both Winchester, and CCI LRP. 150 and 165gr Interlok bullets. Shooting them out of a Garand, Remington 742, and 1917 US Enfield. Nothing like rolling your own.

You may want to peek into a Nosler guide or Sierra manual. The Sierra manual has some very good accuracy loads listed and the Nosler guide has their loads listed with most accurate powder tested and most accurate charge weight tested. Each rifle is different but these loads are usually very good places to start. I have personally never found any Hornady bullets that any of my guns like to shoot very well. Nearly all the Sierra bullets I've used on the other hand seem to have bullseye seeking guidance systems on board. IMR 4350 and Varget are my go to powders but BL-C2 also works great in most military cartridges. ( it certainly meters well) For primers I prefer the CCI br2 for its consistancy.
Good luck with your endevor BHJ

308 is easy to reload because of the wide selection of both powder and bullets. I'm a IMR 4895 fan myself, but it's one of many that work well in this cartridge.

I agree that Varget is a great powder for .308, I use it in just about every thing from .204 Ruger to 30.06. I used Hornady 168 grain A-max bullets for many years without any accuracy problems. I came across a deal for some 168 grain Sierra bullets and they are as good if not better than Hornady. You will have to just try out different bullet and powder combinations to discover what YOUR rifle likes. My Remington VTR .308 likes the combination of 37.1 grains of Varget and a 168 grain bullet, with the Sierra giving a little bit better accuracy over the Hornady.

Back
Top Bottom