• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally Bit the Bullet

I like Varget for my stuff as well. I've also had good luck with BLC-2.

Most primers should be just fine depending on your expectations. For absolute match grade ammo, the CCI bench rest and Federal Gold Medal Match are the best. I've had some outstanding results with regular CCIs myself out to a few hundred yards.

You should have good luck with the Hornadys. Also look at the AMAX bullets as well. I've kinda turned into a Hornady snob as of late, but Sierra is the standard for match ammo. For just experimenting and regular shooting, Hornady 150gr FMJs have been surprisingly accurate.

What does your .308 like to eat? Mine likes Chocolate Ice Cream ... you wil have to see the following to understand what I'm talking about

Here's something to consider from someone who has tested a lot of loads that are commonly liked by most .308's

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-load-recipes/4533485759

BTW: Read his OCW Overview as it expalins his recommendations and "Chocolate Ice Cream".

hard to beat Varget or H414 in the .308 with 150-168 grain projectiles. Don't try to pump 'em up too much. Medium velocities usually work best with that combo. My best is .365" 5 shot group (100yds) with Barnes 168gr BTHPVLD over 41.2 grs H414. 4064, Rl-22, 4895, w748, et.all will shoot good in that case capacity. 8082BR shows promise but is at it's reach in large cases.

Most of my gear is Lee and has been for the last 17 years. If your going to load Rifle be sure to Lube the cases! Pistol dies use Carbide or titanium nitride rings so lubing isn't required. Rifle cases must be lubed,inspected,checked for length and the long ones trimmed. Before you can get to loading. I see it in 30-06 all the time
Best to hook up with someone who does this to get you started on the right foot. I've seen to many guys "chicken out" because they are not comfortable with all that you need to learn. Let me know if I can be of help. I've been reloading since 1993. Its not rocket science but there is more to it than meets the eye.

Back
Top Bottom