• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally cleared my auger jam (rectec bullseye)

superprime

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   1
Reaction score
If you own a pellet grill its not a matter of if you get an auger jam its when. This is the second one I have cleared and it was by far the worst. About a month ago I was cooking on it and left the lid open, well a rainstorm blew in that night and filled it up with water. When the pellets get wet, they turn to mush, when they dry, they turn to concrete.

Open up the side of the unit and finally got the motor off, but couldn't turn the auger backward. Ended up purusing the rectec forums for a solution and found this guy had made a tool from an old socket and allan key https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/stuck-auger-removal.5073/ . So I made one of those and hooked it up to my impact and finally backed the auger out. The auger tunnel was completely solid with old pellets. I used my 2 ft pry bar to try and punch out the mass, but then it got stuck.

Yesterday I had the idea of if they get wet they turn to mush, so I boiled a kettle of water and poured in the hole while working the prybar and finally got everything cleared. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and I'm back in business. A reminder to all to keep their lids closed and their pellets dry.

Back
Top Bottom