• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally finished my first knife!

Uwood52

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie
87   0
Reaction score
Big thanks to @36fatfriends for teaching/coaching me through it! I started this over a year ago at his old place, then we moved to South Africa. He shipped the blade to me after heat treat, it took 3 months to get here. Then, after about 3 more months, I finally put a handle on it.

I even made the micarta as well! Used several camo cotton bandanas and fiberglass resin... It turned out alright. I think I may put a light coat of resin on the outside too to add a protective layer to it.

This is a copy of the Bayley S4 knife (aka the original Bear Grylls knife)

IMG_4019.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_2066.JPG

That looks like a great first knife! What did you use to shape and grind the blade? Nice job making your own micarta.

If you add resin the outside won't that make it a little too slick in your hand if it gets wet? Or do you think a super thin coat wouldn't make a difference?

Which SA country are/were you in?

That looks like a great first knife! What did you use to shape and grind the blade? Nice job making your own micarta.

If you add resin the outside won't that make it a little too slick in your hand if it gets wet? Or do you think a super thin coat wouldn't make a difference?

Which SA country are/were you in?

Thanks! I used Justin's belt grinder to grind it. And his band saw to remove stock.

I'm not sure a thin coat of resin would make it too slick. I think it would be absorbed a little anyway.

We're in the country of South Africa. Been here for 14 months now as missionaries.

Big thanks to @36fatfriends for teaching/coaching me through it! I started this over a year ago at his old place, then we moved to South Africa. He shipped the blade to me after heat treat, it took 3 months to get here. Then, after about 3 more months, I finally put a handle on it.

I even made the micarta as well! Used several camo cotton bandanas and fiberglass resin... It turned out alright. I think I may put a light coat of resin on the outside too to add a protective layer to it.

This is a copy of the Bayley S4 knife (aka the original Bear Grylls knife)

View attachment 1313895 View attachment 1313891 View attachment 1313893
What are you doing in South Africa?

Back
Top Bottom