• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FINALLY fixed 3-4 related issues with Dillon 650 Press - Short Video Explanation

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
After years of loving my Dillon 550B I switched to 650 because so many friends raved about them and they seemed great. A year into the 650 I was miserable. I had sent the 550B to Dillon for a complete remanufacture before selling it. I wished I had kept it. Long story short I sat down with great determination this week and finally removed some of the fancy upgrades and made the factory configuration work. I created my own fixes and now solved at least 4 related issues with the same root cause. Many of you may have never induced these self inflicted problems and may be a hell of a lot smarter than me but I made a single take 4-5 minute video trying to explain what would be impossible with this text. If this helps even one person well worth my time. For the first time ever I'm getting 100 out of 100 good rounds. I had realigned the press and done a dozen things recommended my Dillon and none of them worked until I focused on the issue the good old fashioned redneck hillbilly way. Thanks for all the help I've gotten from ODT people over the years. Many of which are brilliant on reloading.

Good video, having 2 of them I learned some upgrades are totally not worth it, but some definitely are!! A bullet feeder is the best upgrade. I couldn’t image loading without them now, I used the 650s and 550s for years until I upgraded to a 1100 and Super1050 and there’s a world of difference. I kick myself in the ass for not getting them earlier. Now I rarely use the 650 or 550 anymore.

Entirely Crimson has some nice upgrades for Dillon presses. I have most of his stuff on all my presses.

Try taking out the pins on the tool head, you'll notice the tool head will scoot in a little more into the press. I usually leave mine out as I've crushed many many cases. Also try tightening the lock ring on the decap/sizer with the ram all the way up

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

My reloading brother, I am so glad you got your machine going and working well. Just a small add on to the video, under the shellplate carriage on the left side is a hex screw that you can tighten to hold the shellplate bolt from moving. It is recommended that you are still able to turn the shellplate, about like you have it turning, raise the carriage and then tight that screw with a long Allen wrench. The ejection wire wasn't intended to hold the bolt at all I don't think. I do know, you seem much happier with your 650. I've owned one since 1992 and there were no videos, support groups or anything to help. A phone call to Dillon most often narrowed the problem down. Early on there was a technician name "Dan" who was phenomenal and we became phone pals -he helped me so very often. Later I got another 1993 model and a pal has a 2014 model --and there is enough slight differences to cause you to have to adjust your dies on the toolhead just a bit if moving between machines. Dillon still rocks and turns out excellent ammo. Quality over quantity always!!

My reloading brother, I am so glad you got your machine going and working well. Just a small add on to the video, under the shellplate carriage on the left side is a hex screw that you can tighten to hold the shellplate bolt from moving. It is recommended that you are still able to turn the shellplate, about like you have it turning, raise the carriage and then tight that screw with a long Allen wrench. The ejection wire wasn't intended to hold the bolt at all I don't think. I do know, you seem much happier with your 650. I've owned one since 1992 and there were no videos, support groups or anything to help. A phone call to Dillon most often narrowed the problem down. Early on there was a technician name "Dan" who was phenomenal and we became phone pals -he helped me so very often. Later I got another 1993 model and a pal has a 2014 model --and there is enough slight differences to cause you to have to adjust your dies on the toolhead just a bit if moving between machines. Dillon still rocks and turns out excellent ammo. Quality over quantity always!!
You know I can't believe I forgot about that set screw. Thanks so much! I remember that now that you mention it. DOH!

You know I can't believe I forgot about that set screw. Thanks so much! I remember that now that you mention it. DOH!
No problem at all. I was teaching my brother-in-law this week about some reloading and had to point that out to him. It is well hidden, but really does a great job. It is brass or lead tipped to (I do not remember which, however it works well).

Try taking out the pins on the tool head, you'll notice the tool head will scoot in a little more into the press. I usually leave mine out as I've crushed many many cases. Also try tightening the lock ring on the decap/sizer with the ram all the way up

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
One small trick that may help with alignment at the sizing die, is to leave the sizing die unlocked (lock ring not tightened, insert a case into the shellplate, raise the ram into the die THEN tighten the lock nut. I've actually heard of some leaving all dies unlocked (not tightened). placing a case into EACH position , then securing the lock rings all at once. This supposed to help with alignment at ALL positions on a XL650.

One small trick that may help with alignment at the sizing die, is to leave the sizing die unlocked (lock ring not tightened, insert a case into the shellplate, raise the ram into the die THEN tighten the lock nut. I've actually heard of some leaving all dies unlocked (not tightened). placing a case into EACH position , then securing the lock rings all at once. This supposed to help with alignment at ALL positions on a XL650.
Good advice, I believe this is one of the rounds of things I did along the way. I'm sure it all helped in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom