• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FINALLY fixed 3-4 related issues with Dillon 650 Press - Short Video Explanation

I have not reused any primers unless they look like new, not squashed or indented at all. I just take the hit on the loss most times though.
Yea, I’ve always been like that too...ever used h48, it’s an explosive used to make primers, I’m thinking I might just try a little and see if I can make some for my own use

With the high cost of primers, has anyone ever tried re using the ones on their brass that got messed up during reloading?
The most I ever do is collect rounds with imperfections or slightly deformed and use them for test firing or checking zero. They usually fire just fine but don't trust them fully. I also recover perfectly good ones that pass through into the collector bottle. The cake like material in there is very fragile like a hard cake.

I have a 650 and have only experienced 1 of the problems you mentioned. However, I do hand prime my brass and don't use the primer system.
First, there is a lock set screw under the turn table to lock the shell plate bolt once you have it set at the correct tension. That will keep your shell plate from binding up.
As for the case feeder, make sure that the slide is clean and there is no grease or case lube on it for the case to stick to. That should prevent it from being pulled back out of position.
As for the bearing, I also had problems with it and just went back to using the bolt and a little grease.
Hope this helps.

I have a 650 and have only experienced 1 of the problems you mentioned. However, I do hand prime my brass and don't use the primer system.
First, there is a lock set screw under the turn table to lock the shell plate bolt once you have it set at the correct tension. That will keep your shell plate from binding up.
As for the case feeder, make sure that the slide is clean and there is no grease or case lube on it for the case to stick to. That should prevent it from being pulled back out of position.
As for the bearing, I also had problems with it and just went back to using the bolt and a little grease.
Hope this helps.
My 650, after about 5000 rounds, the springs need changing, and sometimes other stuff..I’ve had mine for about 25 years, and 1 thing I can say is Dillon has the best costumer support there is, so if u can’t figure it out, call up Dillon get the tec support, and they will talk u thru it, and won’t make u feel like a dummy!

My 650, after about 5000 rounds, the springs need changing, and sometimes other stuff..I’ve had mine for about 25 years, and 1 thing I can say is Dillon has the best costumer support there is, so if u can’t figure it out, call up Dillon get the tec support, and they will talk u thru it, and won’t make u feel like a dummy!
Dillon has been great to deal with in my experience. RCBS was and is still good to go, but they take much longer to resolve an issue or send a replacement than they used to. Lee told me that the 30-40 Krag die scratching my brass was my problem and maybe I should try polishing the interior. LOL. I don't use Lee products outside of the factory crimp dies.

With the high cost of primers, has anyone ever tried re using the ones on their brass that got messed up during reloading?
I haven't --it just isn't worth it to me to have a malfunctioning round. Typically they get crushed or bent and will not serve again anyway. On that note, I have taken many from ammo that ended up with bent mouths and such and reused them with great success. I will now and always have, even when they were less than 1 cent EACH, if one got dropped I would look for it or sweep up with anticipation of finding it... and I most always did. Use to get 10k primers delivered for $90 or so in the 1980's & early 1990's from a wholesaler.

I have. I had a bunch of rejected ammo from a friend that reloads Commercially. I pressed out the primers from the ones that were upside-down and in bad brass.
I had about 1500. I have shot around 200 so far and they all have fired without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom