• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally loaded my first rounds.

Hope to be where you're at shortly. I moved my Midway wish list to the shopping cart a couple of weeks ago and found a smoking hot deal on some gear here on ODT a couple of days later. Right now I am in the process of completing a workshop/workbench project I started back in 2010. Made a deal with my wife that I would finish that first, and it will be a combined woodworking/reloading shop.

I took my time and picked up tools and components from other members. I had to order a few things, but the support you get from other reloaders is phenomenal. I had several items just given to me while I was purchasing stuff from them. The education that comes with the purchase from these individuals has been worth more than the stuff I bought from them. I get the sense a lot of reloaders are very decent group of people. I spent several hours with the guy I bought the Dillon 550 from, he was a wealth of information.

Good choice on the Dillon 550. Great machine for the beginner. It will serve you will and last a lifetime. I expect you will churning out the rounds in no time.:thumb:

Also thought I would throw in a plug. I have a 45ACP conversion for a 550. Let me know if you start loading 45acp. I will sell cheap! :)

Just a word of warning, reloading can become a rather obsessive pastime, to the point where you shoot so you can reload, rather than reloading so you can shoot.

Your not kidding. I'm joining the closest range so I can "shoot to reload"!! I have a load worked up so I need to test it asap!!

Welcome to reloading. It is quite addictive as others have said! I've only been doing it for a few months, but am addicted already, especially after turning a 1-1.5" factory production low end rifle into a 1/3" rifle without doing any modifications, only hand loads. Now working on all my other firearms :D

Be careful and make sure there's powder in those shells, I recently started using a progressive press and it skipped a number of rounds (primer FUBAR). I have since been hand-priming all shells, and rigged a light to shine INTO the shell after the powder station.

Be careful and make sure there's powder in those shells, I recently started using a progressive press and it skipped a number of rounds (primer FUBAR). I have since been hand-priming all shells, and rigged a light to shine INTO the shell after the powder station.

Years ago a friend of mine got busy on the phone and missed putting powder in one of his rounds, ended up when the primer went off the bullet got lodged a couple inches into the barrel. What a pain in the ass to get removed. I don't remember how he got it out, but I know he had a very tough time doing so lol.

I used to have a light clamped to my 1050 shining on the case after the powder station. Easily visible level in handgun rounds. Powder is the one thing not really feasible after the round is loaded. Loading 20k a year, I never once had any ammo malfunction. I do NOT do this loading rifle cartridges on my 550, but I do look at the dispenser watching the action for full movement.

Welcome to the party! I've been reloading since the mid 90's. My first press was a Lee Turret and about 7 years ago I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal and that fits my needs. I just load .45 ACP and 9mm, no rifle.

Back
Top Bottom