• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Dunagan

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
I needed extra cash to pay my property taxes. A long time (since 1978) friend offered to help me with a loan. In turn, he wanted to borrow my Ruger Mini 30 because he's seen several coyotes that wasnt running away while walking his small dog.
I repaid him for the loan and allowed him to keep my rifle for a couple of months longer. When I ask him for it, he always had a reason why he couldn't get it at that time or he would bring it to me next time he came to my place. This went on for 3 months and I finally demanded he return it to me.
That's when he admitted that he'd "pawned" it to his cousin and that he would have to come up with $900 to get it back. Naturally, I was angry that he'd done that using my property instead of using his Fender and Gibson guitars. Another month has gone by and I am still trying to get my rifle back. He now has told me that he SOLD my rifle to his cousin and his cousin doesnt have it because he sold it! He said it's gone and he can't do anything about it. That I can forget the rifle and our friendship. What can I do to get my rifle back? I have the box it came in and the bill of sale where I purchased it.

Yeah, he stole it. Theft by Conversion. He possessed it for one reason, and he converted it to his own use in a totally different use than what your deal contemplated. The rifle is stolen property and NOBODY can own it and keep it. If it's found, no matter who has it or what they paid, they have to give it to the police who should return it to you.

Stealing firearms is always a felony, regardless of the dollar value of the gun. Not long ago, the dollar value threshold for felony theft crimes was raised from $500 to I think $1500 now, but guns are always felonies to steal those.

So, your p.o.s. friend could be in a lot of trouble if you call the cops on him.

But, if he sold the gun to people who kept no records and just did a handshake deal, and that person sold it to somebody else the same way, even the cops may not be able to track it down now (and they're probably not really intersested in doing so, unless the suspected buyers are druggies or felons).

Report it stolen and tell the cops he was the last one seen with it?

I'd make sure to get all this communication documented verbally or by email. You could sue him in small claims court, but if he denies ever having it, who knows?

Truthfully it's likely more trouble than it's worth for a $600 +/- rifle that's easily replaced. I've learned not to loan out anything I expected to get back or couldn't live without.

I'd try to reconnect with the friend and don't worry about the rifle, that's a hell of a long friendship to lose over $600 imo.

Why would he want a "friend" who steals from him and then lies about it and then finally admits but but adds, "too bad, so sad, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Take the loss and walk away. I don't want to be your friend anymore anyway." That's the message that felon thief "friend" is sending, I think.

Rifle is gone , lesson learned.

While you could report it stolen there are 2 sides to every story and since you needed money and gave it too him with no written agreement you will probably be sol.

I’d talk to “cousin” and tell him:
I’m going to report the stolen gun that you, by admission of “friend”, had last.

He will likely get spooked and tell you the truth about where it’s at or quickly find out where it’s at and let you know so he doesn’t think he’s going to get a felony charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom