• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me an apples to apples example where this has happened. Show me an example of someone going to jail for a case just like the OP is talking about and where the text messages were used to put them there.

They don't go to jail for the texting, they go to jail because they don't pay the man for his gun after the courts tell him.

Show me an apples to apples example where this has happened. Show me an example of someone going to jail for a case just like the OP is talking about and where the text messages were used to put them there.

I don't know of a case like this (OP) where the person was arrested based on text messages. I was answering the question you actually asked, "So you think the cops are going to come arrest someone based on a text message that is on your phone?", (which BTW was directed to BanjoJohn, not OP), not the one you meant to ask. The answer to your question, "yes, all the time."

I don't know of a case like this (OP) where the person was arrested based on text messages. I was answering the question you actually asked, "So you think the cops are going to come arrest someone based on a text message that is on your phone?", (which BTW was directed to BanjoJohn, not OP), not the one you meant to ask. The answer to your question, "yes, all the time."
I love how you only quote half my message when I clearly say, “in a case like this”.

So you think the cops are going to come arrest someone based on a text message that is on your phone? Your phone, not mine? For a case like this? Ok...

OP, wyldedime, in his professional opinion says that you are **** out of luck and don't have a chance in hell of ever getting paid for your rifle.

You should listen to him.

The fact that OP had a rifle, delivered it in trust to a third party, and the third party now refuses to return the rifle is classic "circumstantial evidence".

The paper is full of police reports every day about people accosted on the street, getting robbed, and then calling the police. What circumstantial evidence do they have that they actually got robbed? The police take the report and then start looking for people on the street matching the descriptions given by the victims. The popo don't even know who the perpetrator is, but they will gladly pick up a likely looking suspect and put him in the back of the cruiser.

Maybe the so called victim just left his wallet in the last bar he was in.
Yeah, because this whole mess is just like a robbery. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll play your game. The police make contact and detain a person who fits the description of your robber. Is he under arrest? I'll help you out here and tell you no he's not. Then what, they throw them in the car and take them to the jail and go get a warrant right? No need to go back and make contact with the victim to see if it's the right guy, you know testimonial evidence. Hey, they said they were robbed and this guy looks like him, so close enough. No other evidence needed. One Mans' Story, absent any other evidence, Good Enough!

The OP, his words not mine and certainly not yours....."I needed extra cash to pay my property taxes. A long time (since 1978) friend offered to help me with a loan. In turn, he wanted to borrow my Ruger Mini 30". That kind of sounds like a loan with collateral to a reasonable man. What if the OP defaulted on the loan? What if the OP in fact sold the rifle with a handshake and an understanding to have a chance to buy it back by paying back the loan amount, but the man sold it after a reasonable time? What circumstantial evidence is there that a crime was committed?

I happen to believe the OP. In fact I hope he gets his rifle back and if the man did indeed sell it under the circumstances described I hope he is prosecuted. But I would not arrest anybody in a situation like this based on one mans side of the story. Responsible leo's just don't do that. The situation sucks, but that and the OP description of the events don't add up to a probable cause arrest, and will not pass the probable cause test before a reasonable magistrate. It is what it is, and nothing else.

I love how you only quote half my message when I clearly say, “in a case like this”.

Man, I hate being the grammar popo.

"n a case like this" is not even half your message.

You asked 3 separate questions, each one a more or less complete sentence, with a question mark at the end of each, which in English functions as a full stop.

I chose to answer ONE of the COMPLETE questions YOU posed. I didn't rephrase or paraphrase it. I answered it EXACTLY as YOU posed it. You did not clearly include "in a case like this" as part of the first or second question, it was the third question you posed. Even in your quote of yourself, YOU drop the question mark, making it appear that "in a case like this" is a descriptive qualifier of the question, not a separate question.

In other words, you don't even quote yourself accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom