• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, instead of calling the cops on him right now you could give him 60 days to either pay the fair market value of that gun or buy you a replacement Ruger Mini-Thirty. So the serial number will be different and you won't have the box for that. No big deal. Those rifles won't be collector's items for another 200 years.

Yeah, instead of calling the cops on him right now you could give him 60 days to either pay the fair market value of that gun or buy you a replacement Ruger Mini-Thirty. So the serial number will be different and you won't have the box for that. No big deal. Those rifles won't be collector's items for another 200 years.

"Friend" has already told you the value of your friendship.

It will have the same value in 60 days, and whatever trail there is will be colder and more obscure.

I would file a police report tomorrow, and get the serial number into NCIS as soon as possible.

I needed extra cash to pay my property taxes. A long time (since 1978) friend offered to help me with a loan. In turn, he wanted to borrow my Ruger Mini 30 because he's seen several coyotes that wasnt running away while walking his small dog.
I repaid him for the loan and allowed him to keep my rifle for a couple of months longer. When I ask him for it, he always had a reason why he couldn't get it at that time or he would bring it to me next time he came to my place. This went on for 3 months and I finally demanded he return it to me.
That's when he admitted that he'd "pawned" it to his cousin and that he would have to come up with $900 to get it back. Naturally, I was angry that he'd done that using my property instead of using his Fender and Gibson guitars. Another month has gone by and I am still trying to get my rifle back. He now has told me that he SOLD my rifle to his cousin and his cousin doesnt have it because he sold it! He said it's gone and he can't do anything about it. That I can forget the rifle and our friendship. What can I do to get my rifle back? I have the box it came in and the bill of sale where I purchased it.
You should've reported that rifle stolen as soon as he said he pawned it and couldn't get it back. Not trying to be a turd about it but the sooner it's reported the sooner the serial number gets into the system and the better your chances are of getting it back. Some dirty filthy thief stole a nice Springer Ultra Compact .45 out of my wife's car while we were at Six Flags with our sons back around '96 or '97. I didn't realize it wasn't in the car till we got back home in Newnan because there was no forced entry because it had the 5 digit keypad for keyless entry so they got in using that most likely. I've never trusted "keyless entry" since then. I immediately called Cobb County and reported it. Even though they told me the chances of getting my pistol back were slim to none, a year later I got a call from Cobb Co. telling me they had my pistol and I could pick it up any time. Evidently it had been used in an armed robbery & shoot out with the popo in Birmingham, after the trial it was released from evidence and sent to Cobb Co. where I got it back.

I've loaned guns too and had this happen. One guy I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire and the other is a family member. Can't pick your family but I don't loan guns anymore either. $600 isn't worth a lot of trouble in my opinion vs. just moving on. The guy you referenced in the OP is NOT your friend.

It's time to make his life miserable, let him see how this can work two ways, use your outside of the box thinking begin.

He's dog manure, so it's now time to treat him that way.

Oh yeah, he's not your friend, sounds more like a junkie... Just a lying low life wait your actions out before engagement of attack... Then when you do report it to, police, BATF, etc. Watch him sweat like a pig. Keep the heat up on him and continue to turn it up constantly...

You should've reported that rifle stolen as soon as he said he pawned it and couldn't get it back. Not trying to be a turd about it but the sooner it's reported the sooner the serial number gets into the system and the better your chances are of getting it back. Some dirty filthy thief stole a nice Springer Ultra Compact .45 out of my wife's car while we were at Six Flags with our sons back around '96 or '97. I didn't realize it wasn't in the car till we got back home in Newnan because there was no forced entry because it had the 5 digit keypad for keyless entry so they got in using that most likely. I've never trusted "keyless entry" since then. I immediately called Cobb County and reported it. Even though they told me the chances of getting my pistol back were slim to none, a year later I got a call from Cobb Co. telling me they had my pistol and I could pick it up any time. Evidently it had been used in an armed robbery & shoot out with the popo in Birmingham, after the trial it was released from evidence and sent to Cobb Co. where I got it back.
I was in the city and happened to see a cop so I explained my problem and ask for his advice. He said I should report it as a theft and that when they went to his house, be might decide to get the rifle rather than go to jail.
I called the Sheriff's department and ask to speak to a patrolman. I got the call from a Sargent and he said since it was a verbal agreement between friends that it was a civil action and that was my only recourse. I ask about the theft charge, he said I gave him the rifle, that isn't a theft.

It is unfortunately a civil matter and that's why most here are saying it's not worth pursuing. Chalk it up to a life lesson. If you need fast cash and don't have access to traditional banking services, I'd take the rifle (or other property as surety) to a reputable pawn broker. They will hold your property and you'll have a schedule to repay the loan. Expensive, but you get your property back for sure (unless you default).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom