• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it is time to open a can!!!!!

DSCF6013.JPG

Great friend, huh? I think we've all had friends like that. Live and learn. I doubt you'll ever see your rifle again, but I would call him and tell him you were about to report his theft of your rifle. GAgunlaw explained it well. I would give him the chance to pay me for its value. If he did, I'd take the money for a new gun and find a better friend. If not, I'd report it. Let the guy deal with the headache of the investigation.

I believe that patrolman is incorrect? Theft by conversion not theft by taking.

That's why cops should restrict their activities to blowing the siren and flashing the lights, and not engage in the unauthorized practice of law.

Let your bank credit you with extra money, and try claiming that it was that it was "voluntary", and you don't have to give the money back.

/If you were a magistrate judge would you issue a warrant based on that alone?

Magistrate judges issue warrants all the time on a lot less evidence than OP set out. If OP wants to pursue this, he needs to file a police report, regardless of that the popo tell him, get a copy of the report, and take it to the magistrate and seek a warrant.

All trespass cases, criminal trespass cases, criminal damage to property, and many other crimes are "civil" cases, but people go to jail all the time for committing them.

If the legislature didn't want conversion to be a crime, they would have made it so.

Better idea just pull up in the yard go in house see anything u like of equally value take it if got hot wife tell her she has to work off a debit he owes.OR or like NEcrosis said call po po tell them u want take out a warrant have ass locked up or just kick his ass take what ever teach him a lesson

Magistrate judges issue warrants all the time on a lot less evidence than OP set out. If OP wants to pursue this, he needs to file a police report, regardless of that the popo tell him, get a copy of the report, and take it to the magistrate and seek a warrant.

All trespass cases, criminal trespass cases, criminal damage to property, and many other crimes are "civil" cases, but people go to jail all the time for committing them.

If the legislature didn't want conversion to be a crime, they would have made it so.
"If OP wants to pursue this, he needs to file a police report, regardless of that the popo tell him, get a copy of the report, and take it to the magistrate and seek a warrant." Really? Seems like I have read that somewhere? Oh yeah, it was post #33 and #52, imagine that.:rolleyes:

Magistrates issue warrants based upon probable cause, or at least that's the legal standard they are supposed to using. One man's/woman's story alone absent some other circumstantial or physical evidence is never going to rise to the level of probable cause, at least not in the last 23 years I have been working in law enforcement. I'm well aware of the criminal statue for theft by conversion exists in Georgia. But like every crime it requires probable cause for an arrest/warrant. If a man could make a verbal statement absent any other evidence and have people arrested in this country, there wouldn't be enough land space to incarcerate the the probable causeless victims.

There is no criminal statue for "Trespass" in Georgia. Criminal trespass and criminal damage to property are are misdemeanor and felony crimes respectively, codified in OCGA 16-7-21 and 16-7-22 & 16-7-23, Not sure what you are talking about with "crimes are 'civil' cases"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom