• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm sales across state lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I was just curious because I was looking at the thread about the House voting on CC thru state lines and it got me thinking about the Commerce Clause in the constitution.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution gives solely to Congress the power to regulate commerce between states and with foreign countries and Indian tribes. As used by the Constitution, the term commerce means all business or trade in any form between citizens. Interstate commerce is business between citizens across state lines. Sale and transportation of a product by persons in Florida to persons in Texas would be interstate commerce. In contrast, intrastate commerce is business conducted within one state only and subject to state control only.

The Commerce Clause empowers Congress to pass laws to regulate the flow of interstate commerce in order to keep interstate transactions free from local restrictions imposed by the states. If Congress finds that intrastate activities influence business between different states, it may regulate that area of intrastate commerce. For example, access to lodgings and restaurants located in each state allow persons to travel and do business from state to state. Therefore, they fall under interstate commerce regulation.

Other examples of federally regulated interstate commerce are transportation of goods between states and transmission of information across state lines by telephone, radio, television, or mail.
http://www.enotes.com/supreme-court-drama/heart-atlanta-motel-v-united-states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom