• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm Sales Career

XplodingRavioli

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
68   0
Reaction score
What's up ODT'ers?

I was wondering if anyone in this great forum had any experience / advice on how to enter the firearms sales industry (non retail). I have been pretty successful with professional business to business sales for the majority of my career and would love to translate that experience into a career that I am passionate about, like firearms.

With zero law enforcement / military experience I feel this could be a challenge entering the industry, but I've had conversations with a distributor already that said he has hired a couple guys without these types of backgrounds and they have done well.

Any thoughts, help or advice on how to best enter this market or who to target would be much appreciated!

Don't know anything about the industry but I'm curious to see what responses you get. Seems like it would be easier to get a shot with a manufacturer that is more geared toward target shooting or hunting than the duty pistol vendors.

Glock wants significant LE or military experience.

https://jobs.glock.us/job-description/5637144597

Smith and Wesson doesn't state it explicitly, but looks like it wouldn't hurt to be a former LEO.

https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?d=External&c=1055241#/

Dana safety supply and Ed's often hire salesman. The guy I know that does this,does have extensive firearms knowledge and prior law enforcement expierence. I think a majority if not all of his sales are to agencies.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I applied to a S&W job today ironically. Glock would be the ticket as I'm a native Atlantan. I was looking for more distributors that I wasn't familiar with so it's much appreciated. Obviously I would need some certifications completed since I don't have the law enforcement / military experience.

Definitely know about the hiring process and networking, as I've worked in Staffing and Recruiting SAAS Sales for over 6 years. Application processes and applicant feedback are consistent problems throughout the country and the firearms industry is no exception from what I have seen thus far.

Appreciate all the help and if anyone needs a good sales rep, point them my way!

Honestly, getting into B2B sales in the firearms industry as an outsider is going to probably be challenging. Without LEO/Military experience, or specific industry experience, you would likely have to pay your dues by first getting into a distributor as a general sales rep before migrating to firearms. Honestly there are more lucrative channels in the industry than firearms. You may want to start with accessories. Timing is also important and now is not the best time of the year trying to break into firearms sales. Many, many firearms purchasing decisions made by retailers both large and small will be made by the end of the month and wrapped up at the Shot Show. Purchasing decisions in the Outdoor Recreation Industry (which includes shooting sports/firearms) are made the first of the year. I would suggest looking at smaller local manufacturers (manufacturers in the accessory market and local being Georgia) who may be in need of an aggressive sales rep and begin building your new career path there. I'm not trying to discourage you just being honest about the market. As much as I like the firearms and outdoor rec industry, it is very, very much a good ole boy network. Best of luck.

If you can sell, you can sell anything. Product/industry knowledge is secondary to interpersonal & reasoning skills. I hate sales, but if I wanted to do it, it would just be about getting my foot in the door somewhere and that is all about who you know. If you have those skills, I don't think your lack of law enforcement/military background will be much of an obstacle. Learning the technical side is the easy part. Finding someone to give you a shot will be the challenge. You have to find the right place, then convince them to take a chance on you. If you're a good salesman, you should be able to do that.

Great stuff, guys. I appreciate all the insight. Hopefully I can start the process and get my foot in the door somewhere. Will definitely keep this thread posted!

Back
Top Bottom