• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms Buying and Selling, GET A BILL OF SALE! - Police now have my/sold firearm.

No. A Form 4473 can legally be used to get information when a gun is retrieved by LE that has been used in a crime or retrieved under otherwise abnormal circumstances. The procedure is the LE gets the S/N, contacts the manufacturer, the manufacturer tells which supplier sold the gun, and to whom if there is a warrant - Then there is also the case when the seller (keeper of the Form 4473) will voluntarily give up the information to LE.

In this case, it isn't a 'database' situation - there is a process. But I am not stupid and there's a high probability that the FEDS have been compiling illegal databases for years.
Good info in your post. My comment was more tongue and cheek. As I am in no way gullible enough to believe there is no database accessible by the feds

I am thinking if I had a Bill of Sale, where both parties have a signature with a date, I could use this for the police dept to track where it had gone after I had it. Had something criminal been used with it, I can say I "go after this guy".
What the junior G men don't realize, is, that unless you have the BOS notarized or otherwised witnessed, the date means squat.

Further, if the popo found your gun along side the road, YOU don't have to prove a thing, Until there are some constitutional amendments, the popo have to prove anything they want to prove.

If I sell someone a firearm, and they do something stupid with it, good luck on the police proving I had anything to do with it. I guess if you're afraid that due to your habits and hang outs, they could prove that, then maybe you need BOS. Me. I'm pretty confident not going to happen.

They want you to come pick up property that doesn't belong to you? I wouldn't knowingly go into a police station and take possession of property that I knew wasn't mine.
I can see it clearly now. Here is your firearm. Oops we will take that back now. Thank you for your prints…. Lock him up Dano!!

Forget the BOS, how did they know you were the original owner?? 4473's are "supposed" to be for background checks only, not for database retention of ownership...
The 4473 is essentially a BOS and the entire reason for their existence is so that a firearm can be traced to the person who bought it from the FFL. After that it is anyone's guess. Their is no question about it, if the NICS tracing center calls me, I am required by law to give them the information. No, they cannot legally maintain a database. They require us to do it for them basically but supposedly they can only access the information if a crime has been committed either with the firearm or they are trying to find the rightful owner of a stolen firearm. This all started in 1968. It was a kneejerk reaction to JFK supposedly being shot with a Carcano rifle that he ordered from the back of an NRA magazine. It took them 5 years to get the legislation enacted but the sole reason for a 4473 is for tracing purposes.

Back
Top Bottom