• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms Identification

Any idea on value? $125 is one price I saw.
Well there aren't any RG revolvers worth much money. That being said I really like the ones in 38 Special , 32 S&W Long and the later fewer versions in 357.. if it's a blank firing starter pistol it's not worth a lot.
The top break second pic you have looks like an old Smith and may have some decent value. I would like to have the one in the bottom pic even though I don't know what it is. But then again I'm into the lower end Evidence Cage type guns. I've had 3 RG snubs in the last 2 years.

All you have to say is your dad gave them to you before he died. and go up and pick them up and bring them down. Georgia has no firearm registration so to speak so you bringing them here and selling them that's no problem. Just put them in classifieds and sell them. No transfers needed. If your father said you could have them when he died then they are yours. That's a verbal contract between you and your father. If you are driving up to get them chuck them in the truck and an if you get stopped just say you didn't take you guns with you when you moved and you are finally getting around to bringing them home. Do not keep any ammo in the car or truck. Put them in lock boxes or cases. The most the officer can do if he finds them is run the serial number and see if there any stolen gun in there. If transfer through a FFL each weapon could cost you 24-45 dollars per gun.

Well there aren't any RG revolvers worth much money. That being said I really like the ones in 38 Special , 32 S&W Long and the later fewer versions in 357.. if it's a blank firing starter pistol it's not worth a lot.
The top break second pic you have looks like an old Smith and may have some decent value. I would like to have the one in the bottom pic even though I don't know what it is. But then again I'm into the lower end Evidence Cage type guns. I've had 3 RG snubs in the last 2 years.
Bottom one is an Iver Johnson. The S&W I figured has some value, so I'll probably try and pick it up and sell it on here along with the Iver. Just waiting for the judge to sign off! Need the money more than the guns since my wife and I just bought a house! LOL.

The Smith and Wesson is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars. I have 1883 top break 32 with nickle plating and pearl grips. I believe mine is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 to 375 dollars. I did some pretty extensive research and came up with than number based on the condition, the nickle plating and pearl grips. You can see the similarities between yours and mine.

Attachments

• 20170708_170953.jpg
    20170708_170953.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
I guess there were just so many made they are like Glocks are now. Just to many made to retain any long term increase in value. If it was a 38 and had a longer barrel it would be worth closer to the 1,000 dollar mark. The 38 in those models really command a premium.

All you have to say is your dad gave them to you before he died. and go up and pick them up and bring them down. Georgia has no firearm registration so to speak so you bringing them here and selling them that's no problem. Just put them in classifieds and sell them. No transfers needed. If your father said you could have them when he died then they are yours. That's a verbal contract between you and your father. If you are driving up to get them chuck them in the truck and an if you get stopped just say you didn't take you guns with you when you moved and you are finally getting around to bringing them home. Do not keep any ammo in the car or truck. Put them in lock boxes or cases. The most the officer can do if he finds them is run the serial number and see if there any stolen gun in there. If transfer through a FFL each weapon could cost you 24-45 dollars per gun.

If you dad "gave" the to you, before he passed away, they still have to be transferred to the new owner. Any handgun that leaves one state and heads to another state to a new owner has to be transferred.

It does not matter if it is sold, traded, given, swapped, whatever. If a transfer of ownership takes place when the two parties are in different states, they must go through an FFL.

Your advise is how it "should" be, but it is not. To follow the letter of the law, they must be transferred. It is no different than buying a handgun form out of state.

It can be done legally, or it can be done illegally. The choice is up to the parties involved.

You are correct on the registration issues. Get them here legally and sell them how you want.

If you dad "gave" the to you, before he passed away, they still have to be transferred to the new owner. Any handgun that leaves one state and heads to another state to a new owner has to be transferred.

It does not matter if it is sold, traded, given, swapped, whatever. If a transfer of ownership takes place when the two parties are in different states, they must go through an FFL.

Your advise is how it "should" be, but it is not. To follow the letter of the law, they must be transferred. It is no different than buying a handgun form out of state.

It can be done legally, or it can be done illegally. The choice is up to the parties involved.

You are correct on the registration issues. Get them here legally and sell them how you want.
So you are saying he has to ship through a FFL there and send them here to be transferred. That's not that big of a deal. It's just like buying one online.
My family when I was young moved from Virginia to Ohio, to Oklahoma, to Maryland and then to Atlanta area in 1989. We never transferred the guns. OOOPS! They just packed them in the Semi Trailer and on to the next state.

So you are saying he has to ship through a FFL there and send them here to be transferred. That's not that big of a deal. It's just like buying one online.
My family when I was young moved from Virginia to Ohio, to Oklahoma, to Maryland and then to Atlanta area in 1989. We never transferred the guns. OOOPS! They just packed them in the Semi Trailer and on to the next state.

He does not have to ship it through a FFl in Ohio. The executor, whoever that ends up being, can ship them directly to an FFL in Georgia (or deliver them in person to the GA FFL). They HAVE to go through a FFL in Georgia to be legally transferred.

But you should check with the FFL you want to use, as many will only accept shipments from other FFL. That is a business decision, not a legal requirement.

You can follow some of the advice given here, and end up committing a federal felony. Just depends on how risk adverse you about obtaining some very inexpensive guns.

Speaking of which, the S&W is maybe a $200 -225 gun. It's most likely a .32 or 38 S&W (not Special), and probably is safe to shoot factory loads in those calibers. There is not much demand for them in terms of value, but they are fun little plinkers from another era.

When your family moved to all these different states, the firearms never changed ownership. What your family did was perfectly legal. The owners were always the same person.

When they change ownership, and a second person becomes the new owner, they must be "transferred". Exactly as you described. Just like buying a gun online, from out of state. It's the exact same thing.

Excellent advice from G gh1950 above. Follow the advice here from "the good ole boys", and commit a felony, or follow the law. The choice is between the Executor and the person who wants the firearms. They get to decide how much risk to take.

When to comes to crossing state lines, and transferring firearms, I'm always going to be extra cautious. I would hate to sell or trade a firearm a few years from now that was brought into my possession, in Georgia, illegally. Add to that, the OP does not really know any of the history of these handguns. Where did they come from from, how did his relative take possession of them, etc.

When your family moved to all these different states, the firearms never changed ownership. What your family did was perfectly legal. The owners were always the same person.

When they change ownership, and a second person becomes the new owner, they must be "transferred". Exactly as you described. Just like buying a gun online, from out of state. It's the exact same thing.

Excellent advice from G gh1950 above. Follow the advice here from "the good ole boys", and commit a felony, or follow the law. The choice is between the Executor and the person who wants the firearms. They get to decide how much risk to take.

When to comes to crossing state lines, and transferring firearms, I'm always going to be extra cautious. I would hate to sell or trade a firearm a few years from now that was brought into my possession, in Georgia, illegally. Add to that, the OP does not really know any of the history of these handguns. Where did they come from from, how did his relative take possession of them, etc.
I am not trying to dispute him or you. Follow the law and don't get busted. I was just thinking out loud but who's to know they changed ownership. Like I said in the first place I said he moved and didnt' bring them with him. I said nothing about telling the officer about his dad dying. However by all means follow the law. ( I AM NOT TRYING TO ARGUING WITH ANYONE ON HOW HE SHOULD DO IT, PLEASE LETS GET THAT STRAIGHT BEFORE THIS STARTS GETTING PERSONAL WHICH IT ALREADY HAS " good ole boys " I WAS JUST THINKING OUT LOUD ABOUT WHEN WE MOVED, THANK YOU).

Back
Top Bottom