• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms on a commercial airplane.

Yes you should be allowed to carry anywhere anytime unless your safety is guaranteed. Caveat being people should have to pass a test similar to law enforcement to carry because even though protecting yourself and family is your God given right their are way to many people carrying that have zero idea of what they are doing.

If carrying was normalized it wouldn’t even be a thought just like putting on a watch or remembering to grab your cellphone. That is why I am pro open carry even if it can be tactically unsound, getting people use to seeing guns that don’t magically jump out and kill everyone is a good thing
The "original" Air Marshall's qualification was one of the only federal agency pistol that you had to have real deal skill. I've shot about every agencies weapons qualification (for fun, spouse was a fed) and it actually took real skill to that would disqualify 90% of the folks on this site, I'm guessing.

Of course they dumbed it down when they expanded the agency.
CMshoot would probably agree.

The "original" Air Marshall's qualification was one of the only federal agency pistol that you had to have real deal skill. I've shot about every agencies weapons qualification (for fun, spouse was a fed) and it actually took real skill to that would disqualify 90% of the folks on this site, I'm guessing.

Of course they dumbed it down when they expanded the agency.
CMshoot would probably agree.
I have no idea what the Air Marshall's qualification is, but I have been unimpressed with LE qualifications I've been exposed to. It's just not that hard.

I have no idea what the Air Marshall's qualification is, but I have been unimpressed with LE qualifications I've been exposed to. It's just not that hard.
What it used to be; the Air Marshall's existed before 9/11.
You'd most likely would fail the original course first time around, $$$ says. I agree with the general sentiment though most don't reflect actual skill outside of the very basics.

What it used to be; the Air Marshall's existed before 9/11.
You'd most likely would fail the original course first time around, $$$ says. I agree with the general sentiment though most don't reflect actual skill outside of the very basics.
Don't misunderstand, I was not comparing the Air Marshall qualification to other LE. I'm sure the standard has to be very high due to the environment they work in. Plus, I would never want to piss off cmshoot cmshoot ! Have you ever seen that man shoot?!! :scared:

Don't misunderstand, I was not comparing the Air Marshall qualification to other LE. I'm sure the standard has to be very high due to the environment they work in. Plus, I would never want to piss off cmshoot cmshoot ! Have you ever seen that man shoot?!! :scared:

The original qualifier was before cmshoots time I believe, like everything in gov they dumbed it down when the program expanded.

Before I started tanking w a neurodegenerative disease I would have loved to go head to head w ole CM :) We have a strange common background on Calvi he knows about !

Now I depend on a tazer lol

I do get your drift though.

Cheers and Merry Christmas !!

The original qualifier was before cmshoots time I believe, like everything in gov they dumbed it down when the program expanded.

Before I started tanking w a neurodegenerative disease I would have loved to go head to head w ole CM :) We have a strange common background on Calvi he knows about !

Now I depend on a tazer lol

I do get your drift though.

Cheers and Merry Christmas !!

I was hired before the course was dumbed down. We still shot the original Air Marshal Tactical Pistol Course (TPC). We washed a lot of folks out of the program with that.

Later it went to the Practical Pistol Course, which is a much easier qualification course.

I regularly run my pistol course students through the original TPC, so quite a few folks here on ODT have shot it.

When I ran the firearms training program for the Atlanta Field Office of the FAMS, we ran the TPC regularly.

I was hired before the course was dumbed down. We still shot the original Air Marshal Tactical Pistol Course (TPC). We washed a lot of folks out of the program with that.

Later it went to the Practical Pistol Course, which is a much easier qualification course.

I regularly run my pistol course students through the original TPC, so quite a few folks here on ODT have shot it.

When I ran the firearms training program for the Atlanta Field Office of the FAMS, we ran the TPC regularly.
What does the PPC consist of?

I'd like to hear that myself.

I shot the NYC qual course in Massad Ayoob's LFI-1-- piece of cake. And I passed the Texas CHL class with one dropped point (dangit) with a borrowed gun I'd never fired before.

Something harder would be more fun.

It's a fairly standard LE-type course of fire, and has nothing to do with FAMS specifically.

Start with 3 mags loaded with 6 rounds each.

1.5yds: from the holster, one-handed bent elbow, 2rds in 3 seconds. Repeat twice, for a total of 6 rounds

Reload that mag with 6 rounds.

3yds:
-from the holster, both hands, 2 rounds in 3secs
-from the aimed in position, 2 rounds in 2 seconds. Repeat once for a total of 4 rounds

7yds:
-from the holster, 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat 4 times, for a total of 6 rounds
-from the holster, 2 to the body, 1 to the head, in 6 seconds
-from the holster, 2 to the body and 1 to the head, emergency reload, fire 2 to the body and 1 to the head, 15 seconds
-transfer the handgun to the strong hand only. From the high ready position, fire 3 rounds in 5 seconds, strong hand only

Load mags 6-6-7. 7 round mag will be the last one used.

-transfer the weapon to the support hand only. From the aimed in position, fire 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat 5 times for a total of 6 rounds.

That's the "front half" of the course. A total of 36 rounds for a possible 180 point.

"Back half":

15yds, with a barricade:
-from the holster, using the right side of the barricade for cover, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-kneeling position, using the right side of the barricade for cover, aimed in, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-from the holster, using the left side of the barricade for cover, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-kneeling position, using the left side of the barricade for cover, aimed in, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds

25yds, barricade:
-start holstered, standing in the open. Draw while moving to cover, and shoot from the right side of the barricade, 3 rounds in 10 seconds
-right side barricade, aimed in position, 2 rounds in 5 seconds
-right side barricade, aimed in position, 1 round in 3 seconds

Perform a magazine exchange with a fresh 6rd magazine and holster.

25yds, barricade:
-start holstered, standing in the open. Draw while moving to cover, and shoot from the left side of the barricade, 3 rounds in 10 seconds
-left side barricade, aimed in position, 2 rounds in 5 seconds
-left side barricade, aimed in position, 1 round in 3 seconds

24 rounds on the back half. Total of 60 rounds. Possible score of 300.

This is the standard course of fire used by most every Fed agency. Passing for everyone but the FAMS is 210. FAMS have to get a 255.

It's a fairly standard LE-type course of fire, and has nothing to do with FAMS specifically.

Start with 3 mags loaded with 6 rounds each.

1.5yds: from the holster, one-handed bent elbow, 2rds in 3 seconds. Repeat twice, for a total of 6 rounds

3yds:
-from the holster, both hands, 2 rounds in 3secs
-from the aimed in position, 2 rounds in 2 seconds. Repeat once for a total of 4 rounds

7yds:
-from the holster, 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat 4 times, for a total of 6 rounds
-from the holster, 2 to the body, 1 to the head, in 6 seconds
-from the holster, 2 to the body and 1 to the head, emergency reload, fire 2 to the body and 1 to the head, 15 seconds
-transfer the handgun to the strong hand only. From the high ready position, fire 3 rounds in 5 seconds, strong hand only

Load mags 6-6-7. 7 round mag will be the last one used.

-transfer the weapon to the support hand only. From the aimed in position, fire 1 round in 3 seconds. Repeat 5 times for a total of 6 rounds.

That's the "front half" of the course. A total of 36 rounds for a possible 180 point.

"Back half":

15yds, with a barricade:
-from the holster, using the right side of the barricade for cover, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-kneeling position, using the right side of the barricade for cover, aimed in, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-from the holster, using the left side of the barricade for cover, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds
-kneeling position, using the left side of the barricade for cover, aimed in, fire 3 rounds in 7 seconds

25yds, barricade:
-start holstered, standing in the open. Draw while moving to cover, and shoot from the right side of the barricade, 3 rounds in 10 seconds
-right side barricade, aimed in position, 2 rounds in 5 seconds
-right side barricade, aimed in position, 1 round in 3 seconds

Perform a magazine exchange with a fresh 6rd magazine and holster.

25yds, barricade:
-start holstered, standing in the open. Draw while moving to cover, and shoot from the left side of the barricade, 3 rounds in 10 seconds
-left side barricade, aimed in position, 2 rounds in 5 seconds
-left side barricade, aimed in position, 1 round in 3 seconds

24 rounds on the back half. Total of 60 rounds. Possible score of 300.

This is the standard course of fire used by most every Fed agency. Passing for everyone but the FAMS is 210. FAMS have to get a 255.
Thanks for the write up!
I'd like to hear that myself.

I shot the NYC qual course in Massad Ayoob's LFI-1-- piece of cake. And I passed the Texas CHL class with one dropped point (dangit) with a borrowed gun I'd never fired before.

Something harder would be more fun.
Try the TPC! It’s not anything insane but it can be kind of unforgiving.

Back
Top Bottom