Firearms on camp grounds

Bring your firearms to the campgrounds?

• Hell YeAH

• HEll NO

• Undecided

• Who Cares!?

• Tacos

Results are only viewable after voting.
Many, many years ago I was camping up in Pisgah, NC, sleeping in a hammock. I woke up to something licking and nuzzling my hand which had flopped outside the hammock. I had a dog at the time, but she wasn't a woods dog so I was a little confused as I opened my eyes and sort of got my bearings. :nerd:

You guessed it. Black bear. I think when it realized I was awake, and when I realized it wasn't my dog, we both sort of simultaneously agreed to part company. I flipped out of my hammock on the opposite side and the bear ran off into the woods.

Flash forward to me being in college and taking a jog with my girlfriend's father in Black Mountain, NC. We were on some trail in Montreat and come around the corner and this big ole black bear lumbers out onto the trail. This man doesn't even break stride, lifts up his arms, and hollers really loudly and the bear skedaddles, does a 180, and runs back into the woods.

I reckon a .500 S&W might be a bit overkill. :ranger:

And to better answer your question...

Are firearms, large knives-axes or "survival tools/blades" allowed at any time along the Pine Mountain Trail?
Per Georgia State Park DNR rules, No long guns/rifles/shotguns are allowed in the park outside your vehicle. Also no bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, or any device that discharges projectiles. Exception is: persons with a up to date Georgia Carry Permit (or one from a reciprocal state) may carry holstered a handgun only. As for bladed things, nothing larger than a pocket knife (thus no sheath knives, axes, survival tools.) Small hand saws can be used to cut DEAD downed wood. No cutting down or on of any tree of any size, dead or alive for any reason.

This is based on old laws, 2008 or 2010 I think.
Newer laws passed in 2015 expanded the types of things subject to state preemption by the Georgia General assembly it's self things that cannot be regulated even buy other state level agencies and this includes all defensive weapons.

Quote from the new version of 16-11-173:

1. As used in this Code section, the term "weapon" means any device designed or intended to be used, or capable of being used, for offense or defense, including but not limited to firearms, bladed devices, clubs, electric stun devices, and defense sprays. -----/------//-//-----//--/------/------///-//-------//////----____________\\___________________ So, I think the State DNR and the Pine Mountain Trails management is WITHOUT AUTHORITY to say big knives / survival tools are not allowed , only handguns are.

Going camping for Thanksgiving with my extended family! Going to be at FDR State Park. I know my GWCL allows me in certain parks to carry, what about this State park? Anyone ever camped there before? Will take the S&W 500 for Yogi and Smokey Bear, but would like to be quiet if Jack and Jill want to get frisky. Thanks ODT!
We used to rent the Rock cabins there back in the '80s and '90s and I always carried and had my GWL with me. Any Georgia state park is acceptable with a GWL. The only parks that are sketchy are USCOE campsites along the Chattahoochee, and Georgia Carry has published guidance on those.

Keep in mind, its highly illegal to kill yogi or smokey. Unless you're hunting Kodiak Island and are being attacked by a grizzly or Kodiak or polar bear, you might want to think of an alternative. If it were person trying to harm you or your family, it would then be acceptable .. Just saying. Carry everywhere and remember its usually easier to get forgiveness than permission, just not when dealing with certain wildlife.

Exactly.

Yogi better be gnawing on your arm when you pop off a round at him.

We used to rent the Rock cabins there back in the '80s and '90s and I always carried and had my GWL with me. Any Georgia state park is acceptable with a GWL. The only parks that are sketchy are USCOE campsites along the Chattahoochee, and Georgia Carry has published guidance on those.

There are state parks on COE land around Clark Hill and Russell Lakes, maybe Hartwell. COE rules will trump any state rules.

And to better answer your question...

Are firearms, large knives-axes or "survival tools/blades" allowed at any time along the Pine Mountain Trail?
Per Georgia State Park DNR rules, No long guns/rifles/shotguns are allowed in the park outside your vehicle. Also no bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, or any device that discharges projectiles. Exception is: persons with a up to date Georgia Carry Permit (or one from a reciprocal state) may carry holstered a handgun only. As for bladed things, nothing larger than a pocket knife (thus no sheath knives, axes, survival tools.) Small hand saws can be used to cut DEAD downed wood. No cutting down or on of any tree of any size, dead or alive for any reason.
That is not actually part of the DNR rules.

They don’t call out (nor is it supported by any state law) that you can only carry a handgun.

Weapons​

Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law.

Back
Top Bottom