• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First AR lower build

When putting in the detentes for the take down pin, get a razor blade and hold down the detente then slide the pin in, once in rotate the pin so it will catch the detente then remove the razor blade. It'll prevent them from flying across the room if you work slow.

Come on, all the people recommending the razor blade trick, upgrade to the clevis pin trick. Loads better!!

Clevis Pin ($0.25) > Razor blade ($1) > free hand ($0.00)

IMG_6481_zpsf50bc8a8.jpg

upload_2018-8-14_12-6-24.jpeg

Everybody will tell you to use a punch to put the pin in. Why do they lose parts across the room?

Buy a pair of pliers and wrap the jaws with electric tape and press the pins in.

I like the knipex because the wrench faces stay perfectly parallel to each other. (Like a press) It is easy to hold the pin between your fingers and gently squeeze the pin home without risk of scratching your lower or launching some parts across the room

Come on, all the people recommending the razor blade trick, upgrade to the clevis pin trick. Loads better!!

Clevis Pin ($0.25) > Razor blade ($1) > free hand ($0.00)

View attachment 1741848

I have about 37 razor blades. I have some clevis pins now that I’ve built quite a few ARs but when I’ve been at peoples houses helping them and forgot to bring the clevis pin they usually have a razor blade.

View attachment 1741834

Everybody will tell you to use a punch to put the pin in. Why do they lose parts across the room?

Buy a pair of pliers and wrap the jaws with electric tape and press the pins in.

I like the knipex because the wrench faces stay perfectly parallel to each other. (Like a press) It is easy to hold the pin between your fingers and gently squeeze the pin home without risk of scratching your lower or launching some parts across the room

I dipped a pair in plasti dip. Works better than electrical tape cause it won’t fall off.

Kind of goes without saying, but I recommend wearing safety glasses. I caught a spring in my eye once and I didnt expect as much bleeding as there was...
Another tip - I prefer to use a jeweler's hammer with punches since it's a lot easier to control than a regular hammer. It makes driving roll pins much easier.

I watched the Sooch00 video before and during my first assembly of a lower. Really helped alot. It is 30 minutes but he has a few good tips in there. He also has an upper assembly video that is really helpful too. Hopefully youtube hasn't pulled them.

Back
Top Bottom