• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First AR lower build

........or, you can buy the tool that I linked on the first page that is specifically designed for installing the pivot pin detent and spring. I’ve never launched either since I’ve had that tool.

Of course, you’re welcome to borrow mine.

........or, you can buy the tool that I linked on the first page that is specifically designed for installing the pivot pin detent and spring. I’ve never launched either since I’ve had that tool.

Of course, you’re welcome to borrow mine.

I mean I use a clevis pin now, but.... oh the times of hunting around the garage floor on my hands and knees looking for the sole detente.... You don't miss those days

If you drive a pin for your trigger guard, support the far side. Very easy to snap that piece off the receiver.

A roll of masking tape works great for this and any gun work where you need to support the far side.

I mean I use a clevis pin now, but.... oh the times of hunting around the garage floor on my hands and knees looking for the sole detente.... You don't miss those days

The clevis pin is identical in function to the purpose-built Brownell’s tool.

View attachment 1741834

Everybody will tell you to use a punch to put the pin in. Why do they lose parts across the room?

Buy a pair of pliers and wrap the jaws with electric tape and press the pins in.

I like the knipex because the wrench faces stay perfectly parallel to each other. (Like a press) It is easy to hold the pin between your fingers and gently squeeze the pin home without risk of scratching your lower or launching some parts across the room

I've got a set of these and they are nice to have. Just expensive and if someone is only going to build one or two, expensive tool to get.

This! They cost about .75 cents and will make the hardest part of the build super easy. A lot of guys will also work inside a gallon zip lock bag to minimize screw lose. I always put tons of tape on the receiver when doing the mag catch pin. Its were 95% of scratches originate from.
Yeah I was just about to ask if you really thought the front pin and detent was more of a pain in the ass than the bolt catch roll pin. I got a mark or two on the lower on the first bolt catch I installed. But it was a TNArms poly lower in FDE so it wasn't too noticeable.
I still haven't installed the trigger guard on a lower and I've heard that's a pain in the ass too. In fact I've seen a lower for sale here a while back with one of those ears broken off.

I've got a set of these and they are nice to have. Just expensive and if someone is only going to build one or two, expensive tool to get.
How many videos can you watch where the guy uses a punch or the special punch that will hold the roll pin and then they scratch their receiver? They always quickly rub their finger on the boo boo and claim its not bad.

How many guy on this ‘how to post’ have mentioned losing parts or a trick to work inside a bag or bucket to mitigate said projectile?

Specialty tools and just that. Instead using a punch, why don’t you use an old screwdriver. It might help to grind it down a bit, what are the odds of scratching it up? Instead of using a specialty tool to tighten the barrel nut, use a pipe wrench. Why bother with specialty tools for holding the receiver? Just throw it in a vice.

Hey, what’s the worst that could happen?

The go to specialty tool that will do the job without shooting parts across the room. The tool that will assemble your brand new receiver without the boo boo’s associated with the typical hammer and sharp pointy things.

I own one of these for work. It ends up being one of the most used tools in my box. It does the job of many others. It doesn’t replace them, but it will do most low torque, easy access, wrenching without marring the surface, and unlike a crescent wrench it grips tighter when you use it and won’t round off the edges of a bolt.

Many years ago I was working in a component overhaul shop and sending dozens of roll pins across the room using a tiny hammer and a tiny punch. It occurred to me that there has to be a better way. I had one of these and after playing with it figured out how to do it without all the extra drama.

And you can do something similar with a decent pair of channel locks and a roll of electric tape if you are careful. The 10” Knipex is $55 on Amazon

Back
Top Bottom