• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First batch!

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Just got my first reload rounds done last night! Pretty stoked to be working the kinks oit and getting some actual load development going after researching and reading so much lately.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v206_candykane101_93a98b50.jpg

Like it says, 230gr Hornady XTP in front of 4.4 and 4.6gr of Titegroup. Hornady's data says 4.3-5.2 max at 1.230 OAL but that chambered a bit long in my 1911 so I settled on 1.210. Didnt want to get too close to the max load with less internal space (and my first ever batch :) ) so I thought this would be a good starting load to work up from.

Should be going to the range this afternoon to see how they do.

Looking forward to a range report. Hollow points may require a bit more development to funtion well out of a specific pistol/magazine.

Looks really good........hope to hear back on its performance......BTW.....I have a thread I posted to see if anyone is interested in splitting an order for 45 acp Hard Cast Match Grade 230gr RN bullets at .451

Steve

They shot great, could only test them at 25yds which is right on the edge of my abilities to group well but they definitely did their part. Had one that failed to feed from the magazine (it was the first round in a fresh mag, got caught on the feedramp after releasing the slide). This brass didnt seem to grip the bullets very well, and it could be my calipers but the bullets mic'd out to .450 (not .451). Whatever it is, without a crimp they were too loose for my taste, the one round that hung up from the mag pushed noticeably into the case. Going to start experimenting with tamper crimps in the future and try a different brand of brass to see if they hold better.

Overall I would call it a win :) Probably going to up the load to 4.8-5.0 for the last 50 bullets in this pack and call it a day. Going to look into a chronograph for my next purchase also.

Go easy with crimping, to much and accuracy goes to hell. Also with the combintaion of expnding and heavy crimping can cause case mouth to split a little early. But the pleasure of shooting ammo you made is worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was hoping I wouldnt need it but they were just too loose. Im thinking it might berhe brass, I was usimg R-P which is not the greatest apparently. I have a pretty good selection to try and see if another brand holds them better before I try out a crimp.

Put just a little crimp on it ... just enough to keep it from setting back ... and a metal jacketed bullet will mic at 450 whereas lead is oversized slightly at 451

Back
Top Bottom