• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bow?

A friend and I both bought used, cheap, old compound bows just for backyard practice at 30 yards or less.
Mine was set to 45 lbs by a prior owner. It goes up to 55, I'm told.
His was set at 80 lbs at the shop where the first owner got it, and although it's been turned down somewhat by loosening the limb bolts, it's STILL in the mid or high 70's, I think. We took it to an archery shop but the owner said a bow that old (30 years) wasn't safe to use, or put in his bow press. So we didn't get it tuned up or tested for exact draw weight.

My friend and I "can" shoot this bow that has 70-something peak draw weight and a 50% let off, but we don't like it.
It's more work than it needs to be. The arrows bury themselves too deep into the target block to get them out easily without bending the shafts. And if the arrows miss the block and hit the ground, or a tree branch, they almost always bend or break.

We both think that 45 lbs is good weight for fun shooting within 30 yards or so.

NOW, HERE'S A QUESTION: How many compound bows are adjustable down to 45 lbs? Is that too low for most designs from most manufacturers?
And, can they be adjusted by the user, who doesn't have specialized training or tools, like a bow press?
If I'm not mistaken, almost all modern compound bows are available with 50lb limbs and 80-90% letoff. I believe there are some out there available with 45lb limbs, but any 50lb bow should be adjustable down to 45. Most should be adjustable for draw weight with nothing more than a hex bit or allen wrench.

As mentioned above by someone else, both Diamond and Mission made a bow several years ago "targeted" at younger shooters that is fully adjustable from 5-70lbs with easily adjustable draw length as well. The "idea" behind it was a bow that a young shooter could grow with and not have to keep replacing as they get bigger and stronger. They were relatively cheap as well as they were only around $300-400 brand new. My nephew had one when they first came out and he really liked it.

Now, to address what you said about bending and breaking arrows. I have to assume you are shooting aluminum arrows? I have never bent a carbon fiber one and only managed to break carbon fiber ones by hitting them with other arrows. I would highly recommend switching to carbon fiber with any remotely modern compound bow. If you feel like you have to have aluminum for whatever reason, Easton makes a hybrid one that has a carbon fiber core.

A friend and I both bought used, cheap, old compound bows just for backyard practice at 30 yards or less.
Mine was set to 45 lbs by a prior owner. It goes up to 55, I'm told.
His was set at 80 lbs at the shop where the first owner got it, and although it's been turned down somewhat by loosening the limb bolts, it's STILL in the mid or high 70's, I think. We took it to an archery shop but the owner said a bow that old (30 years) wasn't safe to use, or put in his bow press. So we didn't get it tuned up or tested for exact draw weight.

My friend and I "can" shoot this bow that has 70-something peak draw weight and a 50% let off, but we don't like it.
It's more work than it needs to be. The arrows bury themselves too deep into the target block to get them out easily without bending the shafts. And if the arrows miss the block and hit the ground, or a tree branch, they almost always bend or break.

We both think that 45 lbs is good weight for fun shooting within 30 yards or so.

NOW, HERE'S A QUESTION: How many compound bows are adjustable down to 45 lbs? Is that too low for most designs from most manufacturers?
And, can they be adjusted by the user, who doesn't have specialized training or tools, like a bow press?
Unless things have changed in the last few years (doubtful) each compound bow will have a draw weight range and draw length range that is printed somewhere on one of the limbs. There should be plenty of bows that have 45lbs in their draw weight range, though you will find most hunting bows are a bit heavier.

Don't disregard draw length. It's critical to be able to shoot accurately.

If I were to use carbon shaft arrows I would have to have them re-fledged because my type of low velocity bow,

with its old-fashioned hard plastic arrow rest,

needs to use the old fashioned type of fletching, about 3" to 4" long, and preferably the type of fletching where the individual fibers can be separated but will stick to each other and fix themselves when you brush them.

Whereas all modern carbon fiber arrows come with tiny little 2 inch plastic fins!

I don't want the additional expense of buying carbon fiber arrows and having to pay my local archery shop to put new flashing or extra long vanes on them.

But, my situation is admittedly peculiar because of the old and low draw weight bow I use. If somebody is shooting a modern compound bow that has a good arrow rest-- drop away, or whisker biscuit -- and shoots the arrows at a good enough velocity for the small fins to stabilize them ...that's wonderful!
They can use the carbon fiber ones which should not bend and won't break except under the most extreme abuse.

I have been using aluminum arrows because I can find them with appropriate sized fins on the back end, and because the front ends come already fitted with a socket for me to screw in my arrowheads / target points.

Also, if you're willing to make the drive, Bow Hunters supply in Bowdon is an awesome shop. They let me fling a few arrows before I bought mine.
Great people but they have no one that knows how to set up or tune a bow properly. If you make the drive down to Carrollton/Bowdon, check out Top Tier Archery (formerly Treetop Archery).

A friend who doesn't own any archery gear went archery shooting with me and a mutual friend today.
This guy could use a bow of his own, but he doesn't need or want to drop big $ for one.
Just something cheap and effective to sling arrows at a foam target at 30 yards or less.
No deer hunting. No big game hunting.

Compound bows are preferred, and the higher let-off the better. But he did fine with my very old Bear bow that only has a 50% let-off.

Peak draw weight should be about 50 lbs. Or, it should be something that's adjustable and easily, quickly, adjusts down to 50 lbs. Again, this is NOT FOR DEER HUNTING.

Ideally he'd like a kit that comes with an arrow rest (whisker biscuit preferred), a set of sights, a front counterbalance weight, some vibration dampeners and silencers on the strings, and possibly a mechanical trigger release. If it comes with arrows, that's great, otherwise it needs to use arrows that are easily available at big-box stores. Common sizes and lengths.

How about this one?​

PANDARUS Compound Bow Draw 0-70 LB​

for Pull Beginner and Intermediate Archer​

Fully Adjustable 19.25"~31"​

with All Accessories New 2021​

$199 Free Shipping

Brand: PANDARUS
4.3 out of 5 stars 146 ratings

Comes with fiber-optic round sight, whisker biscuit rest, stabilizer bar, rear peep sight, mechanical trigger release, anti-vibration pads for the limbs, and a dozen arrows, among other things.

1662434755064.png

Or this very similar kit, by a different company:

1662434937131.png

• [Material and Features]: High Strength Magnesium Alloy Bow Limb and Aluminum Alloy Bow Handle. High Performance Dual Cam System. Adjust the draw weight and draw length with enclosed Allen Wrench. No bow press is needed. Application of rubber damper and string silencer makes the shooting more stable and makes shooting less noisy.
  • [Bow Parameter]: Right Hand, IBO 320 fps ; Axle to Axle: 30"; Draw Weight: 20-70lbs Adjustable , Draw Length: 17"-29" Adjustable, No Bow Pressure, Brace Height: 8", Let-off: 75%. Whether you’re a hunter or into target shooting Practicing … this incredibly unique bow offers the versatility for any enthusiast from adult, youth, beginner-intermediate archers!
  • [Package]: 1*Compound Bow, 1* 5-Pin Optical Bow Sight, 1* Release Aid, 1* Rubber Stabilizer , 1* Arrow Quiver, 1* Brush Arrow Rest, 1* Folding Hex Key Set, 1* Allen Keys, 6* Carbon Arrows, 6* Target Papers, 1*Metal D-loop, 1* Bow Kick Stand Holder, 1* Arm Guard, 6* Broadhead Arrowheads. Pre-installed: Peep Sight, D-loop, String Silencers, Limb Dampers

Price of $189.

Back
Top Bottom