• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Can, need opinions

VME

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Gat Blaster
172   0
Reaction score
Looking to get my first can applied for in the next couple weeks and looking for suggestions.

Will be shooting .22, 5.56, .308 and 9mm.

Been looking at the Liberty Mystic X since it covers all the bases and since a friend has it, it sounds pretty good.

Also looking at the DA Nomad .30 cal since it would cover those calibers as well.

I'm also going to try to squeeze in a dedicated .22 can like the DA Mask.

What do you guys think would be a good first can or two since there are so many companies in the game these days?

Only hosts I have at the moment are a 5.56 AR, FN 509 and cz scorpion. Looking at 10/22s and an american predator in .308 for future hosts.

I have a Dead Air Sandman-S (first can) and have been more than happy with it. The Nomad seems like a nice can as well, with the E-Brake helping reduce the report by a few more decibels. The mask will probably be my next NFA purchase after my SBR stamp comes back.
My hosts are 300 blk pistol, 5.56 pistol, .308 AR10, and Rem700 308.

Reactions: VME
This question gets asked on a regular basis. Get a 45cal, 30cal, and 22lr can and call it done. 45cal will handle 9mm and most likely be quieter due to extra volume. 30 cal will handle 30 cal and under with ease. 22lr because they are just plain nasty to shoot and you will spend a lot of time cleaning them. Big thing to look at on getting a can is how hard to get and expensive pistons and mounts are. I find that I shoot my TiRant 45 most of the time (45 and 9mm). The 30 cal cans get some use; but not a lot due to ammo prices and having enough room to shoot them. 22lr is something that can get a lot of use depending on shooters.

I have a Sandman L that I'm still waiting on, 235 days since check cashed, suppression was priority over weight/length. But if I were to do it again, I would go with the YHM Resonator. It's 16 oz, has great suppression, inconel blast baffle and it's $400.

I would get a separate pistol can. My Obsidian 45, which I have never regretted, is an awesome can. 22lr through it is amazingly quiet, but would still get a smaller dedicated rimfire can.

I’ve been looking at the rugged cans as well.

Thanks for all the input!

I’ve got a rugged Obsidian 9 that is just awesome. I liked it so much that I have an Obsidian 45 and Oculus 22 pending now.

As far as a 22 can goes, make sure you spend the extra $ on at Stainless Steel baffles. Stay far away from aluminum.

Do not buy anything till you shoot that make and model first, and on your gun or one very close to what you will use.

Wish I had done this.

Back
Top Bottom