• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First elk hunt, what to bring....

No tags. Elk are considered exotics in Texas. Open 365, no limits.

I have everything I listed. The .300WM my father bought to on his only elk hunt (Montana. He got skunked). So it's tempting for sentimental reasons.

Unfortunately I don't. There's not a lot of trees out there. Mostly scrub but supposedly some decent elevation changes. Regardless I wouldn't take anything over 300 yards.
Either the .300WM then if you shoot it well...or if meat hunting then take a neck shot with the .270...just in front of shoulder.

Make sure when you go that after you arrive, shoot and check your accuracy.
I'll check zero on all candidates before leaving. I'll bring a backup rifle. This will just be a drive (about 5 hours) and my rifles ride inside the truck with me so if there's no chance to reconfirm when I get there I'll still be comfortable.

Either the .300WM then if you shoot it well...or if meat hunting then take a neck shot with the .270...just in front of shoulder.
I've never pulled the trigger on it.
But obviously will prior to going if I decide to bring it. My luck the entire hunt will consist of a whitetail presenting a 10 yard shot. (We can take any white tail but apparently it's mostly muleys and that closed yesterday).

I'll check zero on all candidates before leaving. I'll bring a backup rifle. This will just be a drive (about 5 hours) and my rifles ride inside the truck with me so if there's no chance to reconfirm when I get there I'll still be comfortable.
you need a big ice chest..or two lol.

I've never pulled the trigger on it.
But obviously will prior to going if I decide to bring it. My luck the entire hunt will consist of a whitetail presenting a 10 yard shot. (We can take any white tail but apparently it's mostly muleys and that closed yesterday).
I would wait on the elk...that elk meat is outstanding!
And if the 10 yds is gonna happen then maybe you should my Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh?? Give it a sporting chance lol?

Id definitely go with 300 wm out of the choices. You may only get one shot. I’ve taken two in times past both with 338 I have seen three that fell to 30:06 and all those were with in 100yds.

you need a big ice chest..or two lol.
Bringing two 120 qt and a couple smaller ones.
I would wait on the elk...that elk meat is outstanding!
And if the 10 yds is gonna happen then maybe you should my Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh?? Give it a sporting chance lol?
It's not an either/or hunt so the plan is both! :lol:
Oh, and unless that .300WM has a brake, buckle your chinstrap.
There's a reason I haven't shot it ... ;)
Beautiful rifle though. Whitworth. Oil rubbed finish.

Back
Top Bottom