• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First elk hunt, what to bring....

Any of the rifles you've listed will work fine given the right bullet.

I used to hunt with an outfitter in MT that used a 7MM-08. His theory was, in most cases it'll take more than one shot to put an elk down so he chose to have a caliber that he could get back on target as fast a possible and send another. He also didn't take shots over 200 yrds either.
I however, being the paying customer chose to use a 30-378 WBY with a 200grn Barns X and send it out to 500 yrds.
If I were in your shoes I'd use the 300WM if I were comfortable shooting it.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to take with you.

I killed mine this year with a 308. I have killed them with 25-06, 30-30, 308, and 300 WM. It all depends on style of hunting and potential ranges. They are hearty animals so there is a possibility they would not go down with one shot, but a high shoulder shot usually mitigates that. My experience has been that the ones that run long distances after being shot are a result of bad shots.

7mm rem mag or .300 vin mag, both will do the job with a heavy bullet
I saw a Show on Outdoor Channel where he used a 150 grain bullet out of a 300 Win Mag and the bull didn't get 10 feet. Shot was from 300 + yard shot. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement..... After he shot this amazing bull the next door neighbor drove over to the property and cussed him and told the shooter that " That was my elk. ".

I killed mine this year with a 308. I have killed them with 25-06, 30-30, 308, and 300 WM. It all depends on style of hunting and potential ranges. They are hearty animals so there is a possibility they would not go down with one shot, but a high shoulder shot usually mitigates that. My experience has been that the ones that run long distances after being shot are a result of bad shots.
Dang, I want to hear the .25-06 story.

A high shoulder shot is a bad shot on any kind of animal.
The one I referred to was shot in the boiler room so I wouldn’t say that’s a bad shot and he still ran 100 yards.
If that’s what your insinuating

Back
Top Bottom