• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First elk hunt, what to bring....

A high shoulder shot is a bad shot on any kind of animal.
The one I referred to was shot in the boiler room so I wouldn’t say that’s a bad shot and he still ran 100 yards.
If that’s what your insinuating
I edited my post to say long distances, ie. over a few hundred yards. My experience with “bad shots” is people that shoot at running animals, quartered, or just take shots beyond their capabilities. I was not targeting your experience in the least and apologize if it sounded like that.

As for a high shoulder shot, there is a time and place. There are numerous arteries in that area, as well as the spine. If properly executed, they will fall where they stand. Not for everyone, and certainly not something id try at distance.

In case someone is thinking about an Elk hunt in the future, I'm just going to put this right here...

I'll check zero on all candidates before leaving. I'll bring a backup rifle. This will just be a drive (about 5 hours) and my rifles ride inside the truck with me so if there's no chance to reconfirm when I get there I'll still be comfortable.
Difference in altitude could be a factor!! The higher up the less dense the atmosphere is and the less fall of the projectile..Just a suggestion..

Hmmm, with you're list 300 Win mag, 7mm in that order with a heavy bullet. Now a 338 Win mag or a 375 H&H is probably what I would pic. A wounded elk can run for miles and miles. The rifle you can hit what you're aiming at is best. I like to drop them where they stand with one shot and make a clean kill. Of coarse that doesn't always happen. And you may have to shoot at distance. The elk hunt is on my bucket list

Back
Top Bottom