• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First elk hunt, what to bring....

looks good - and good Hunting
I recently got this bull on one of my Bucket List check offs
the young guide never ran out of gas and was surprised that I kept up

PS: I used a 24 inch barrel TC in .45-70 ~ the guide wants you to bring something more powerful than a .30-30
shot back to not hit the shoulder, recovered the 300gr Hornady FXT on the other side below the skin
no wasted meat

IMG_20220923_185729.jpg
IMG_20220922_135924.jpg
IMG_20220922_152802.jpg

Sat down and immediately saw elk. Several young bulls and a few cows. Pretty thick stuff so glimpses on and off the entire time. Just a bit far for a late afternoon shot. Back at them in the morning. Also saw some muleys, (including a real nice buck at the entrance), Jack rabbit and jumped some quail.
Some incredible, but RUGGED country.
Oh yeah, it came down to ammo availability. Carrying the '06 and have the 7mag as back up.

Sat down and immediately saw elk. Several young bulls and a few cows. Pretty thick stuff so glimpses on and off the entire time. Just a bit far for a late afternoon shot. Back at them in the morning. Also saw some muleys, (including a real nice buck at the entrance), Jack rabbit and jumped some quail.
Some incredible, but RUGGED country.
Oh yeah, it came down to ammo availability. Carrying the '06 and have the 7mag as back up.
You should be fine with 06 just pour it in the boiler room and go find it in that open terrain.I would just keep inside 300 for the energy.

Back
Top Bottom