• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First elk hunt, what to bring....

You should be fine with 06 just pour it in the boiler room and go find it in that open terrain.I would just keep inside 300 for the energy.
That's the plan. Everything today was 350-450. Trying an Eastern approach for sunrise which should allow us to close the distance some. Wind might be tricky.

That's the plan. Everything today was 350-450. Trying an Eastern approach for sunrise which should allow us to close the distance some. Wind might be tricky.

I know how exciting this is
Good Luck

my guide would not take you out unless you had something more powerful than a .30-30, his preference is .270
he stated they are easy to kill

Sorry I’m late to the game…I just got back from a Mule deer hunt near Marathon, TX. I’m guessing if you are hunting Elk you aren’t far away from there. This is what I know about Elk there. Elk don’t like high ground…they only go high when pushed. Find a good knob and watch the bottoms. I must have seen 60 or so last week in the bottoms. They need water, and use the natural ponds quite frequently. We glasses For Muleys from the bottoms and looked up the mountains. We found plenty of Elk on the hill side just not to high. If you are higher then the cow poop you probably won’t be on the Elk. They eat what cows eat, and if a cow won’t go up there neither will an Elk, a Muley and an Audad will go above it, but not Elk from what guides have told me, and what I’ve seen with my own eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be hoping you’ll be packing no less than 8 weeks hard cardio and weight training.…if you’re stalking in and packing out.

If you are sighted in at 200 with that 7mag, you out to be able to aim 2-3” high and hit him in the vitals at 350. Bout the same for an 06. They have a 10” vertical vital area at least. Also, don’t be bumed out about seeing small whitetails. A 100” white tail is a sure bough trophy out there. I’ve heard the may have some Casper Mtn genetic traits which is the smallest whitetail subspecies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom