• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Offender GWL

Marijuana was removed as a disqualifier with SB-308. As long as your MJ charge, and any sentence is over for 5 years, with no other offenses, then you may get your permit.

i had an open container charge a year ago (within 5 years of the first offender), does that disqualify me? I plead under the first offender because I really didnt understand the seriousness of what I was involved with, young and stupid I guess

no offense, but starting to sound like you shouldn't get a permit. alcohol n guns don't mix. thats why the laws are in place.

I'm with bearpugh on this one. If you immature enough to ride around with an open bottle then you dont need a gun. If you already own a gun then you may want to sell it as you've already admitted to being guilty of a felony which means you lied on the form 4437 which would be another felony I do believe.

Heres the lowdown on the First Offender Act.
If your charge wasnt of violent nature, and IF you can keep your nose clean for 7 years after you've completed probation....THEN you may be able to obtain a GFL. That is if your county judge lets you have one because they have the power to pull those records at any time no matter how long it has been since the conviction (they always know the truth).
This means that if you even get charged for spitting on the sidewalk during those 7 years after probation then you WONT BE ABLE TO EVEN LEGALLY OWN A GUN, and you damn sure wont get a GFL. Just because the NCIC doesnt show you on record does not mean you can legally own a gun. If you are arrested and the gun is there then you will may go to prison for "Possesion of a firearm by a convicted felon". No matter if you are defending yourself or not.
Think about what you are doing and why you "need" to carry a gun. Is it really worth your freedom?

Back
Top Bottom