• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Offender GWL

i had an open container charge a year ago (within 5 years of the first offender), does that disqualify me? I plead under the first offender because I really didnt understand the seriousness of what I was involved with, young and stupid I guess

the beer wasnt mine, i wasnt charged with dui, just open container, and i want a carry permit because i work near turner field..... thanks for assuming though

Whats up with two screen names?

Yes, thanks for giving me a call mtgldr! I had my password saved on my lap top, after my incident at work yesterday we were discussing carry permits and I told my room mate to check here for answers.

Actually, I have a first offender plea from many moons ago...The law did not nor does not prevent me from having a GFL. The 7 years is only for a conviction. The FO plea is not a conviction. Your background check will always be delayed (almost always anyway), but will eventually go thru. Your record will show an arrest and no conviction. You can petition to have that record completely expunged, but you may need to wait a while for that one. I am not prevented from buying, possessing, and using a firearm even with a FO plea. I am not a lawyer, but just m personal experience. Consult a laawyer to expunge your FO plea to make the water less murky if any issues arise...

with the first offender issue... all your rights are fully restored so you can own, purchase, sell weapons and ammo. There is some conflicting language as others have posted regarding obtaining your GWL. My recommendation is paying the $75 bucks or whatever it is and see what happens. Worst they can say is no. then you can dig deeper into the issue and find other avenues of approach should you choose to pursue it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom