• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First payment via cashier check what should I know?

OP, what forms of payments do you normally accept there? I‘m considering to sell a few obscure items and I’ve been hesitant due to the payment thing.

I accept Paypal if G&S add fee, Cash App, Venmo, Google Pay, or USPS Money Order. (NO GUN RELATED NOTES)

Some folks do Zelle, and Apple Pay as well some even do Crypto, or Check, but that's more rare.

With a new buyer with no rep G&S is sketchy. Just use your head, and don't risk anything your not afraid to lose. Less then 1% of the folks are tryna scam you, but it has happened.

Dayum! Three months? Oh, Hell naw!

What I found out. Never again.

You cannot stop payment on postal money orders, but a lost or stolen money order can be replaced.
  1. Money order loss or theft may take up to 30 days to confirm.
  2. Investigating a money order's lost or stolen status may take up to 60 days.
  3. There is a $6.95 processing fee to replace a lost or stolen money order.

I will never accept or send a USPS money order again. I sent one for a Colt I bought on gunbroker that got lost in transit. It took me 3 + months to get my money back and I lost the Colt I was after because I finally told the guy who sold it to relist and hit me with non buyer report so he could get his money. He did leave me good feedback.
Haven't had anything bad with USPS MO yet. Did you save the receipt that comes attached?

Haven't had anything bad with USPS MO yet. Did you save the receipt that comes attached?

Yes, but that didn't do me any good when the money order was sitting in an envelope under the seat of some delivery truck somewhere.

I have used USPS money orders religiously for over 20 years. That was the first one that ever got lost, and it was the last one I will ever send again.

I will still accept them I guess, but I generally won't buy anything to be shipped unless I can make electronic payment.

I just want something that the govt cant get their grubby hands on.
I hate anything electronic when it comes to $$ …..
I understand it is an ‘electronic world’ now and that all these kids think this crap is cool but it will come back to bite them in the ass one day….that seems sooner than later the way our Nazi leaders are going.
i am going to get to where if you cant meet me FTF to buy my stuff or send me cash or MO that i dont deposit into an account….then i will find one who can.
I like USPS MO because i can go to PO and cash it then ship the item at the same time. Although i never lost one or had to deal with the crap NWSharpshooter NWSharpshooter went through to file for a lost one.

I just want something that the govt cant get their grubby hands on.
I hate anything electronic when it comes to $$ …..
I understand it is an ‘electronic world’ now and that all these kids think this crap is cool but it will come back to bite them in the ass one day….that seems sooner than later the way our Nazi leaders are going.
i am going to get to where if you cant meet me FTF to buy my stuff or send me cash or MO that i dont deposit into an account….then i will find one who can.
I like USPS MO because i can go to PO and cash it then ship the item at the same time. Although i never lost one or had to deal with the crap NWSharpshooter NWSharpshooter went through to file for a lost one.
funny-government-memes-25.jpg

I love the folks that won't trust the post office to deliver junk mail, but think of them as the gold standard when it comes to banking...

I'd simply call them and explain there are two options.

They either wait on shipment until it clears, or you'll send it back to them with the item once they send the correct form of payment.

You can take the check your bank, and the banks have an internal communication systems where they can contact the issuing to determine if it is good. "Good" means that that bank issued it, which it should be willing to verify. If the issuing bank refuses to verify it, then move on.

I would be slow to return the actual check, unless you want to pay the freight for certified mail. If you just drop it in the mail, the buyer is going to swear that you never mailed it back, and are trying to cheat him. Remember, the check is drawn on the bank, and so the buyer, in theory can't stop payment on it.

If it gets lost in the mail, it's going to be one you, because he has paid the bank for it. He is out the money.

Ten days is a good rule of thumb, but it's not absolute. The check can be returned months later in the correct circumstances.

Find out if the bank is in the same federal reserve district. Checks between banks in the same federal reserve system clear electronically overnight. If the bank is in the same federal reserve district, and you go the deposit route, you can call the next day and see if it clears..

FWIW, this is for everyone and to show that you can teach an old dog some new tricks, I was just involved in having to return some money for an over payment. Basically, every bank has electronic bill pay. You don't have to be signed up for it, you can go online and do a one off. You can do it two ways. One is an actual check that the bank issues, and sends to the recipient. You have to have the recipient's account name and account number, and address. The other way is an electronic transfer, where you have to have his account name, bank routing number, and checking account number, Funds transfer instantaneously. Either of these can be done from the comfort of your living room.

Call the bank that issued the check. I have collected 3 over the years and 2 were fakes and 1 was from a stolen/hijacked bank account. The fakes were bad and looked like they were made by kids with MSpaint.

Back
Top Bottom