• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First problems with reloads need help

Primers are not going off at all. If they were you would here a pop and have a squid (light) load which will lodge a bullet in the Barrel. This is one of the most dangerous things when reloading, other than overcharging. If the round does not go off or does not sound right always stop and make sure the barrel is clear before going any further. This will cause the gun to blow. I would dismantle all these loads and start over with new primers and try only a few at a time until you are sure you have solved the problem. Primers could be wet or may have gone bad. If you use a liquid to clean brass make sure the brass is completely dry before loading. If a primer does not fire when in good dry condition its usually a light strike which it sounds like is not your problem since other rounds are firing.

Primers are not going off at all. If they were you would here a pop and have a squid (light) load which will lodge a bullet in the Barrel. This is one of the most dangerous things when reloading, other than overcharging. If the round does not go off or does not sound right always stop and make sure the barrel is clear before going any further. This will cause the gun to blow. I would dismantle all these loads and start over with new primers and try only a few at a time until you are sure you have solved the problem. Primers could be wet or may have gone bad. If you use a liquid to clean brass make sure the brass is completely dry before loading. If a primer does not fire when in good dry condition its usually a light strike which it sounds like is not your problem since other rounds are firing.
you mentioned something I didnt think of actually I use a sonic cleaner for my brass and the 200 or so rounds I have fired previously I put the brass in the oven to dry and this last batch I just air dried..... I wonder if a few primers got wet..... you sir may have figured it out thank you!!!

Question did you clean the primer pocket itself from any previous powder residue, or just push the primers out and reseat new primers into the primer pockets???

just wondering?

As palmettomoon ask CCI primer not go off before and called CCI them it was like uh go ###% &^%.

Haven't purchased any of their products since... (OLIN CORPORATION)

you mentioned something I didnt think of actually I use a sonic cleaner for my brass and the 200 or so rounds I have fired previously I put the brass in the oven to dry and this last batch I just air dried..... I wonder if a few primers got wet..... you sir may have figured it out thank you!!!
That would be my first guess that the primers got wet. I have reloaded for many years and it is very rare that you get primers new in package that do not work. I have had almost no problems with bad primers over the years. Its usually caused by something else like a light strike or something like that if the primers are dry. In fact I have loaded and fired primers that I have had on hand for years with no problems.

That would be my first guess that the primers got wet. I have reloaded for many years and it is very rare that you get primers new in package that do not work. I have had almost no problems with bad primers over the years. Its usually caused by something else like a light strike or something like that if the primers are dry. In fact I have loaded and fired primers that I have had on hand for years with no problems.
I agree, generally. I do experience about a 2% failure rate with CCI primers vs. 0% with Winchesters. That's the commercial primers, not the #34 and #41 Military primers.

Back
Top Bottom