• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First reloading experience

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
I finally got enough stuff together to attempt my first reloads. Some of the components I used were a little different than what I was originally going to use, but went with what I could find locally to get started.
I used Hornady 230g jacketed RN, Winchester LP primers, 4.4 gr Bullseye powder and a 1.265 oal, with a very slight taper crimp.
I was shooting a sub 5 inch group through my Glock 21, and slightly larger through my Colt series 70 gov model, at 20 yards off hand(no rest). I could easily see sub 2" groups off of a bench rest with this load.
I felt very happy with my first reloads. This was a pretty decent semi-mild target shooting load. They cycled flawlessly through my Glock and Colt.
Many thanks to those of you who have answered some of my questions in the past, while I was getting started.:)

Congrats. Thats a great load. I loaded a ton with roughly the same amount of Bullseye and had great accuracy and very manageable recoil. I like the Nosler 185 gr JHP sporting handgun bullet. It is very accurate in all my 1911's and I've never had any problems getting them to feed. I would use the same 4.4gr load of bullseye.

Congrats, it's a great feeling rolling your own rounds. If you're a hunter, wait till you drop that first deer with one you put together. That was many years ago, but I can still him freezing in mid step and falling in his tracks. As stated above, keep good records on your loads. I have a notebook that I've been writing stuff in for years. Straight wall pistol brass will last a long time and through many target velocity loads. Bottleneck, and hyper velocity stuff won't get anywhere near the same life. Again, congrats on entering into world of handloading.

Welcome to the satisfying experience of rolling your own ammo. Where you shooting at 1911 guy?

Thanks for the welcome to the world of reloading! I mainly shoot at Charlie Elliot WMA, or at my hunting property in Barnesville. I've been a couple of times lately to the Griffin Gun Club, as the guest of a friend of mine.

Back
Top Bottom