• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time bear hunt - any help would be appreciated

14   0
Reaction score
I'm planning on heading to Cohutta to see if I can find a bear this year. I've been doing my homework and think I have a plan. I was hoping some of you gentlemen might be able to help point me in the right direction so at least I don't get eaten. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Cohuttas are pretty rugged, steep and the trails aren’t marked well. The west side was burned several years ago during a forest fire so there is a lot of scrub growing. Biggest thing to remember is if you shoot him, you’ve got to get him out and it ain’t gonna be on an ATV since the majority is designated Wilderness so no motorized vehicles are allowed. You will have to carry him out on your back in quarters most likely unless you can carry 350lbs of dead weight.

Be ready to hike very steep terrain, getting wet especially if you are in the Jacks river area as there are a lot of river crossings. Cell service is spotty and non-existant in most areas. There are a lot of bear and wild hogs and they’ve always spooked well ahead of me. Get a good map, a compass along with GPS and good luck.

Northern Zone,within 24 hours harvested bears must be reported to WRD office,within 3 business days,bears (Minimum of hide and skull) must be taken to Game Management Office.

Hunt high, park low. Try to avoid having to go up to get out... ever! There are folks that have killed one bear in that area and swore off ever bear hunting again because getting them out was absolute hell.

Maybe bring in one of the deer sized roll up deer sleds. It will be a lot easier dragging a quarter of a bear out on one of those down hill, than it would be packing it out.

If you're not in excellent condition you need to get that way before you hunt that area.

south ga is a lot easier to hunt. Culhutta is rugged and really need to hike up and spend the nights there and hunt down. Pack donkey would be great if you are really serious and have time for four days or so.

As said get you a GPS because won't work. Mark the location of vehicle. Hunt uphill so your drag is down hill. Have a few people hunt with you, dragging that much dead weight won't be easy. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom