• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time can buyer questions.

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Sorry for another suppressor question thread but couldn’t find a thread with exactly the questions. My dad and I have decided to purchase a few cans. We want to stay with one can apiece for now based on expense and first time buying. Need to kill a few hogs and totes after dark and the farm has a few neighbors. So quiet is a plus, doesn’t have to be the quietest though. Dad will be shooting his on every thing from a 22-250, 223 and a 300 blackout. He doesn’t shot much and this will ONLY be used for hunting. I however am looking for one to run on muticalibers as well. 223,300bo, 300 win. I do a little long range shooting with the 300 win mag so accuracy is more of a plus for me. I will be hunting with him for predators as well so quiet and weight is in the equation as well.
I am looking at these two models. Don’t really know anything about the. Other than you tube reviews. Personal recommendations are always a plus. So if you have some experience with these or other brands that will fit my profile. I will list my priorities top to bottom, top being preferred most. Thanks for the help guys.

Dads
Quiet
Multi caliber
Life, warranty

Mine
Accurate
Quiet
Muti caliber (for now, if hooked will leave as a 30 cal can only)
Life, warranty
Weight

For dad, SilencerCo Harvester 300
Me, Q Trash Panda

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Thunderbeast is the gold standard for precision applications. However, there are other options that are plenty precise and quieter. My top recommendation for you would be the Dead Air Sandman L. It is the quietest 30 cal can I have ever heard, heavy duty, will withstand full auto, good for precision applications, and the mounting system is excellent.

The Harvester may or may not be good for dad. It is quiet, but not a heavy duty can. I have shot one on several occasions. I do not own one because I like to be able to toss my guns in and out of the hunting truck without having to worry about damaging something. The Omega would be a good option for both of you.

I own thunderbeast, dead air, and AAC. I have shot every 30 cal can produced by SilencerCo. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

L
I think those are excellent selections for what they will be used for. Check out thunderbeast if accuracy is your main focus.

Thunderbeast is the gold standard for precision applications. However, there are other options that are plenty precise and quieter. My top recommendation for you would be the Dead Air Sandman L. It is the quietest 30 cal can I have ever heard, heavy duty, will withstand full auto, good for precision applications, and the mounting system is excellent.

The Harvester may or may not be good for dad. It is quiet, but not a heavy duty can. I have shot one on several occasions. I do not own one because I like to be able to toss my guns in and out of the hunting truck without having to worry about damaging something. The Omega would be a good option for both of you.

I own thunderbeast, dead air, and AAC. I have shot every 30 cal can produced by SilencerCo. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your OP. I also just ran across one I found kinda by accident. Yankee Hill Machines 30 cal Nitro. Any info on that one?

I 3rd the TBAC for Dad. I have the Ultra 9 very light can for its length and the quietest I've heard. I 2nd the Dead Air also. But its heavier than the Ultra 9 but the Ultra was meant for precision applications and not rapid firing. But for you it will suffice. I have a SilencerCo Omega also. I think its the most versatile can out besides their Saker line. Which you can change the QD mounts, but no direct thread option like the Omega(IIRC) Harvester is more hunting wise like the Ultra 9. My thing with having different brand cans is having the QD mounts on different guns to utilize them on. Hopefully @Quiet Riot Firearms is having a shoot soon so you can shoot them and see what yall like. I would recommend the Griffin Optimus and you can shoot 9mm also.

Just one thing to throw out there- the .22-250 and .223 will not be that quiet. They are both (very) super sonic rounds and there will be a pretty loud "crack" with every shot. Basically like an unsuppressed .22LR.

Not sure how much experience you have had with suppressed shooting, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

And for what it's worth, I'm a fan of direct thread cans. It will cost about $150 per host to either replace or thread the barrel. I don't like adding a $100 mount per gun on top of the threading cost.

Still out on the limb here. I am planning to go purchase Thursday and get in line for the wait. But wanted a little info from you guys on these two cans. Thoughts or suggestions???

Griffin Armament Recce 7 (mod 4)

Yankee Hill Machines Resonator .30 cal

Back
Top Bottom