First time deer hunter, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallsGa

Wolf Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
342   0
Reaction score
Well, not the first time, but the first time I’m taking it seriously. I finally found some land to hunt.

So, what all do I need? I haven’t been deer hunting in 25 years. Any suggestions on a rifle/caliber? What gear is really important and what is a huge waste of money?
Thanks,

Gonna have to say, “go with your gut”. Don’t buy into the marketing. All the same calibers, rifles, clothes work the same today as they have for years. Go for the love of the sport and take the necessary items. rifle/bow , green/brown clothing, orange hat/vest. A climber can come later, if you want. Most important is reading the signs.

I, too, took a 25 year break. Got back into it and was confused by all the products out there to help me be a better hunter. Hogwash! Study the land and sign, then go out and be still in the right spot and be patient. Count the birds, squirrels and take a nap. Enjoy the day, then kick back at the campfire and listen to the coyotes.

I use to smoke Marlboro reds and kill deer easy peasy. It wasn't even a challenge but I love the taste of deer. My advice go find you a nice spot high on a hill with a pretty view and wait. The deer probably like that spot as well. AND wear your hunter orange. Too many yahoos in the woods today shooting at movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom