• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunter, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neck gaiter would be a solid investment. Keeps bugs and debris from falling into your shirt. Sun protection, good for fishing, ect.

If you are gonna splurge on 1 thing, make sure it's footwear. I was wearing Danner boots for years until they started to leak in water. I switched over to a muck style boot and I intend to continue using them until I can't walks so more. Plus they got lots of uses outside of hunting.

Have fun, be safe, good luck!

Private property ?
How many acres?
If you don’t have any luck this season you can get a jump on next season by scouting and setting up some trail
cams.
Shouldn’t be too hard if you can play the wind right on some established deer trails.

Bad part about having the wind in your face is having the deer coming in behind you.
Gotta know which direction they usually come.
If your scent is blowing right at them they won’t be showing up that day although just being out there is more fun than anything.

Are you using a climber, ladder , blind, leaning against a tree?
If you’re going high do your loved ones a favor and get a safety harness and safety rope.....your spinal chord will thank you.

Private property ?
How many acres?
If you don’t have any luck this season you can get a jump on next season by scouting and setting up some trail
cams.
Shouldn’t be too hard if you can play the wind right on some established deer trails.

Bad part about having the wind in your face is having the deer coming in behind you.
Gotta know which direction they usually come.
If your scent is blowing right at them they won’t be showing up that day although just being out there is more fun than anything.

Are you using a climber, ladder , blind, leaning against a tree?
If you’re going high do your loved ones a favor and get a safety harness and safety rope.....your spinal chord will thank you.
Thanks. It’s on private land in Barrow county. I think they’ve got about 125 acres. I’m hunting with the owner. The wife just gave us permission last week.

Some stands are scattered about already but I have to check them out to make sure they’re safe to climb. We’ve seen deer moving about but just does and youths. Gotta find the big boys.

What is (or was) the cutoff date for feeders?

Thanks. It’s on private land in Barrow county. I think they’ve got about 125 acres. I’m hunting with the owner. The wife just gave us permission last week.

Some stands are scattered about already but I have to check them out to make sure they’re safe to climb. We’ve seen deer moving about but just does and youths. Gotta find the big boys.

No cut off date. You can even hunt over bait now.

Man...if you
can get your hands on a couple cellular cameras thatbis the way to go.
We have some of the moultrie mobile cams and they seem to be doing pretty well.
I love getting my push notice update beeps on my phone.

If my phone is laid down in the house and beeps my wife will say “Your deer cam is going off again.”
I’ll run across the room like a little kid on Christmas.....lol.

I would say scent control but my buddy laughs in the face of scent control.
There are times where all the scent control in the world will still spook of a wary deer and others where a stinky smoker that hasnt showered in three days attracts a curious deer.

Just like being quiet to your stand is great for sneaking up on deer and not alerting them to you and also those times where you make a crap ton of noise that gets the deer running right up to you as soon as you sit down thinking you’re a brown, four legged thing that can bounce like a spring.

I know squadoosh about hunting rifles. Found these, most have scopes included. Any good deals?

Savage Axis II .308 $325
Savage 110 .243 $400
Remington 700 ADL .270 $400
Ted Williams mod 100 30-30 $300
Remington 783 (no scope) 30-06 $290
Remington 700 7mm mag (no scope) $400
Howa 1500 30.06 $450
Mossberg Patriot .243 bipod, illuminated scope $600
Savage Axis .243 $375
Ruger American Compact .308 $400

I know squadoosh about hunting rifles. Found these, most have scopes included. Any good deals?

Savage Axis II .308 $325
Savage 110 .243 $400
Remington 700 ADL .270 $400
Ted Williams mod 100 30-30 $300
Remington 783 (no scope) 30-06 $290
Remington 700 7mm mag (no scope) $400
Howa 1500 30.06 $450
Mossberg Patriot .243 bipod, illuminated scope $600
Savage Axis .243 $375
Ruger American Compact .308 $400
Does the Ruger American have a scope?

Status