• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunter, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he asked what was really important. Although I would agree with you that a blind would be nice, I wouldn't necessarily put it in the "important" category.

I suppose a knife would be important, too.
For gutting the deer.
Try to do it without a knife, and you'll end up looking like Carrie from the Stephen King horror movie.

Carrie_Moretz_8_22_12.jpg

You don’t have to have high dollar clothing and gadgetry to kill deer. If you have the money to spend, by all means, do so. A good base layer, mid layer and wind proof outer shell will do for the mild winters we have here. Good boots is where I’d spend some money. There’s nothing worse than sitting on stand with cold feet.
Rifle wise, any 7mm or 30 caliber will do just fine. 30/30, 7mm08, .308 or 30/06 will work. A .270 is a great choice too. Bst of luck in your endeavor.

Any suggestions for a ladder stand? I’ve got 2 spots picked out. One is great - tree line on a ridge overlooking the whole field. Just need to get up there.

Hunt the wind!! I don’t care how scent free you are, always choose your stand location according to that days wind direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom