• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunter, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I got more knives than I can currently use. Besides, nothing quite looks as cool at my Kukri
View attachment 3386879
Yep, those are sweet. My recommendation was so you never have to worry about having a razor sharp edge for field dressing. Cheers and best of luck this coming season!

Just keep it simple. A .308/3006 rifle with a Nikon scope is a good all around rifle. Use a 180gr soft flat point in brush and a 150gr SFP for open plains. You don't have to have camo, just wear cloths that match the colors of your surroundings. No brite colors except your orange vest. If your lucky enough to find yourself an old tree stand already in a tree, your good to go. You can hunt on the ground, but as a beginner that might be more difficult. Always move very slowly when set up hunting. You move slow enough, you can move and a deer looking right at you. I mean really slow. Good luck, have fun and be safe. Be sure to practice with your rifle before hunting so you can make a good shot and know what you can do with it.

You don't need anything fancy. I think most the work is done before the season starts. I spent more time looking for a deer on the ground last year than I spent in the stand. Point being, the work is done before I climb up in a tree. Once you figure out the spot you're going to hunt, most the work is done.

Rifle. You need something that is accurate enough and zeroed in a way you understand. People here are obsessed with 100 yard zero. I almost always have a 200ish yard zero and I very seldom get a 100 yard shot. Up to your circumstances. Just understand your setup.

Bullets. I prefer to shoot a round that gives a good chance for an excellent blood trail. My neighbors shoot deer in the head. I tend to shoot them through the lungs and track them. Some very accurate rounds don't do too great, such as the ELD-X. Good news, plenty of good options out there. Fire a good bullet through a good spot.

Gonna have to say, “go with your gut”. Don’t buy into the marketing. All the same calibers, rifles, clothes work the same today as they have for years. Go for the love of the sport and take the necessary items. rifle/bow , green/brown clothing, orange hat/vest. A climber can come later, if you want. Most important is reading the signs.
I like venison myself and have nothing against hunting. However ambushing a defenseless animal with a high powered rifle is hardly a sport, especially when the opponent does not know he is in the game.

I used to allow hunters on my land with the caveat "do not tell anyone you have hunted here...anyone" as the rest of my family think every deer is Bambi's mother. It was public knowledge within a week or so, and I had to shut them down.

Deer hunting is definitely a sport.

When I hunt I rarely shoot , in fact it’s been 25 years since I have killed a deer.

The hunt is the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom