• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

crippen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
I’ve never hunted but decided to give it a shot this year. My son and I scouted our N Ga property this weekend. We found trails, fresh rubs, tracks and fresh scat. Really exciting being out there and finding all that. Just being out there and knowing deer have been going through there was exciting. However there just isn’t anyway to get away from the road. Our property is only 4 acres and it’s a long skinny plot. If what I read about being 50 yds from the road in Fannin county is correct I need to scratch hunting out there with a rifle. At least until I can see if I can get permission from the guy behind me to encroach his 100 acres a little.

Well today a buddy of mine told me I could go hunt his family’s much larger property, in Maysville, anytime. It’s only an hour away. I can’t wait to get out there and check it out next week.

I really don’t know why I suddenly need to hunt at 45. Never had a desire to before. Maybe my beard hit kill a dear length or something :noidea:
First time you get one or even come close you'll know why. I've lost track of how many deer I've killed, but yesterday morning I was in a stare down with a buck for several minutes and my heart was pounding so hard it was skipping beats. When I killed one a couple of weeks ago I had to stay in stand for about 10 minutes before I could get down safely.

I don't know anything else that does that to your system other than extreme fear and there's no fear involved with this.

Bear44 Bear44 hikingthehills hikingthehills I believe you guys. I was surprised to find how excited I was getting just scouting. The more evidence we found the more pumped up I got.
To bad one of the side effects is that you will learn to hate squirrels. Little F'ers sound way to much like deer and in most situations you'll hear the deer before you see them. The first time you hear something behind you and go "Oh, that's just a squirrel." it will be the buck of a lifetime and you won't know it until he busts you. :doh:

To bad one of the side effects is that you will learn to hate squirrels. Little F'ers sound way to much like deer and in most situations you'll hear the deer before you see them. The first time you hear something behind you and go "Oh, that's just a squirrel." it will be the buck of a lifetime and you won't know it until he busts you. :doh:
I like squirrels for the reason that they start barking to let me know when deer are coming! I always watch the direction birds fly from too, critters tell on each other!

Back
Top Bottom