• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

This guys been a friend of mine for years but we have never talked hunting because, well I didn’t hunt. I just found out his brother owns a deer processing company down in Montecello somewhere. Bait hunting has made this his best year.
You know I hunted over corn some this year and saw more deer in a season than I have in a while. I also didn’t shoot a doe for the first time in 15 years. To me it was a lot cooler being able to just watch them than it was to shoot em! Everyone is different but maybe I have changed from just wanting to kill to only killing what I need and being able to enjoy the rest! Usually I shoot 5-7 a year this year I only took 3 thanks to a state park hunt giving me an extra buck.

You know I hunted over corn some this year and saw more deer in a season than I have in a while. I also didn’t shoot a doe for the first time in 15 years. To me it was a lot cooler being able to just watch them than it was to shoot em! Everyone is different but maybe I have changed from just wanting to kill to only killing what I need and being able to enjoy the rest! Usually I shoot 5-7 a year this year I only took 3 thanks to a state park hunt giving me an extra buck.
I've experienced the same thing. I've seen a lot more deer, but have been very selective. I actually haven't killed one over bait, but I've had a lot of opportunity to. I've had about eight different bucks right where I want them and let them all walk. Including two that in previous years I would not have hesitated for a second to take.

Walked way in. Got stalked by a hunter, walked out. Totally safe we waved at each other and turned around. Now I’m on the stool I was on last time.

At Bass Pro today looking at hunting cloths and cross bows thinking I really don’t need an expensive hobby. Then I found myself looking at Turkey calls. I don’t even own a shotgun :doh:
turkeys huh? never will hunt a smarter animal,if they could smell no one would ever kill one.

At Bass Pro today looking at hunting cloths and cross bows thinking I really don’t need an expensive hobby. Then I found myself looking at Turkey calls. I don’t even own a shotgun :doh:

Hahaha Yep, that hunting bug has got you for sure. I try to keep my hunting urges focused on deer, but will occasionally stray to hog and sometimes turkey.

Trying a simple salt n pepper pan fry
665C9D92-4F41-4120-B699-1CB7DBC92CC3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom