• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

camelflauge.jpg
you need this

Just watch and pay attention. I can assure you they bark at deer, it doesn’t matter what’s walking. My dad taught me that as a kid, his whole demeanor would change if we were hunting and he heard a squirrel barking. It meant he was getting ready to kill, I watched and learned. He was twice the hunter I’ll ever be, the woods talk to you but you just have to listen.
Not saying it doesn't happen but I have never once seen or heard it.
I can tell the difference between a squirrel's warning about an aerial threat vs a threat from the ground. Like you say, pay attention, the woods tell you a lot. :nod:

Find their bedding area and acorns near a creek if there is one and you will see deer.

I’ve found tracks, a beading spot, fresh scat and a couple spots to set up. The dear are certainly there. I also learned that the property is actually Jackson County, which increases my odds. The rest of the season is either sex.

Not saying it doesn't happen but I have never once seen or heard it.
I can tell the difference between a squirrel's warning about an aerial threat vs a threat from the ground. Like you say, pay attention, the woods tell you a lot. :nod:
Squirrels will bark at almost any thing that spooks them. The last hog I killed they were raising Cain as the hogs were coming in. I’ve seen it on deer, coyotes and bobcats. The only thing I’ve never seen them bark at is turkeys.

Squirrels will bark at almost any thing that spooks them. The last hog I killed they were raising Cain as the hogs were coming in. I’ve seen it on deer, coyotes and bobcats. The only thing I’ve never seen them bark at is turkeys.
I could see that. Hogs will eat a squirrel.... or YOU! ;)
I've heard them bark at coyotes, foxes, bobcats, domestic dogs and cats, raptors. They bark at me if I'm trying to slip through the woods and generally ignore me if I act like I've got someplace else to be. Occasionally deer will do likewise.
Had a friend tell me he heard a bunch of blue jays pitching a fit over 2 bucks fighting. I've never seen that either.

I've witnessed the tree rats raise cain at deer.. and myself ALOT.. I think crows are the tattletale of the woods. They've told everything in the woods where I was sitting

Back
Top Bottom