• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Time Muzzle Loader

m88dad

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
First, I'm sorry for the poor quality pictures, but it's the best I could do at the time.

I recently purchased a Traditions .50 caliber Kentucky Long Rifle. For those that don't know, the Traditions KLR is supposed to be a fully functional reproduction kit that the buyer assembles. However, I found this particular one fully assembled on clearance at Cabellas. It was half-off because it was a display model and it was missing one of the three brass ramrod guides.

I mainly just wanted a nice antique (or antique looking) rifle to mount above the fireplace mantle. That being said, I've never owned a "display only" gun and I definitely want to shoot it! Below are some of the pictures of the work I did on it. I sanded the stock and stained it, adjusted the trigger (would only halfcock, wouldn't lock all the way back) and re-assembled it. I know it's not great, but it was my first time restoring/renovating a firearm.

Now on to the point of this thread:

I bought the proper ammo, powder, a measuring flask, patches, and a ball-starter, but I've never actually loaded or fired a muzzle loader before. I've read a few books, and watched a couple of YouTube videos, but you guys have never steered my wrong before, so... any tips for a first time muzzle loader?

Attachments

• KLR 1.jpg
    KLR 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 31
  • KLR 2.jpg
    KLR 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 31
  • KLR 3.jpg
    KLR 3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 32
First, nice rifle. Nothing wrong with getting started with a Traditions rifle. First BP rifle I owned was a Traditions Hawkens rifle. The biggest thing in shooting BP is to always measure EVERY load. I have been into BP shooting for about 30 years. PM me if you have any certain questions. Good Luck with your new rifle.

14850465698291003302837.jpg
I built one a few years ago and there a lot of fun until it's time to clean them .It must be done right or it will rust like a old beer can......I had the half cock problem if I remember right the fix was the trigger moves a flat piece that the cocking hammers ride on .I had to grind that flat piece of metal off a little bit so the hammer could move all the way back

Below is a picture of everything I've got. Again, this is all based on reading the information on Traditions' website and YouTube videos.

If I'm missing something important please let me know!

Horsehat, just out of curiosity, why does the ball need to be seated firmly against the powder? What will happen if it's not?

Thanks again for all y'alls input!
20170123_075957.jpg

A ball seated on the powder is a projectile; a ball not seated on the powder is an obstruction. When the air between the charge and the obstruction is compressed, the pressure can rupture the barrel.
ditto the same applies and reloading black powder cartridges

Below is a picture of everything I've got. Again, this is all based on reading the information on Traditions' website and YouTube videos.

If I'm missing something important please let me know!

Horsehat, just out of curiosity, why does the ball need to be seated firmly against the powder? What will happen if it's not?

Thanks again for all y'alls input!
View attachment 1038848
I don't see a volumetric powder measure in that photo. I like the ones that cut off the excess powder and have a built-in funnel. Can be brass or clear plastic, they all work the same. I like this Thompson Center model for hunting and the range.
475504.jpg

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Back
Top Bottom