• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Time Muzzle Loader

Are you shooting round balls - hard to tell in pic. If you are, you'll need some patches to form a tight seal. Your ball and or bullet should seat fairly tight going down the barrel. If your ball/bullet falls easily down the barrel then you'll run into more issues (don't shoot).

I don't see a volumetric powder measure in that photo. I like the ones that cut off the excess powder and have a built-in funnel. Can be brass or clear plastic, they all work the same. I like this Thompson Center model for hunting and the range.

It was my understanding (according to the package and instructions) that this was a volumetric powder measure. Is it not?

20170123_075957.jpg

Are you shooting round balls - hard to tell in pic. If you are, you'll need some patches to form a tight seal. Your ball and or bullet should seat fairly tight going down the barrel. If your ball/bullet falls easily down the barrel then you'll run into more issues (don't shoot).

Yes, I'm shooting round balls and I have a package of pre-lubed patches.

I have 5, 45, 2-50's, 54, and 12 gauge side by side..I would strongly recommend hooking up with someone..Get pointers from a seasoned vet..If you were here I would be more than happy to help you out..I only use Goex Powder..But I have been shooting for 45 yrs. Enjoy but always start at the low end weight wise with a powder charge. Good Luck.

It was my understanding (according to the package and instructions) that this was a volumetric powder measure. Is it not?

View attachment 1039430
That looks like a powder flask and you never want to load directly from a flask or horn. It holds too much powder to be used safely to measure a charge in the vicinity of a hot barrel. You always want to pour powder into a separate measure and load from the measure.

Yes, I'm shooting round balls and I have a package of pre-lubed patches.

I don't know the diameter of your round balls or the diameter of the Traditions bbl, but you'll find that some bbls shoot better with a patch thickness of .010" or .015". I always try to keep both on hand when trying to achieve best accuracy.

Typically, you'll have to give your short starter a smack with your open palm to get the patch/ball started in the muzzle. After that, your ramrod should be able push the round ball down on top of your powder charge with some effort. Take some dry patches and a bottle of Windex (with ammonia) with you to the range. Every 3-5 shots, run a wet patch and a couple of dry patches down the bore to remove fouling and keep it easy to load. The Windex serves as a good solvent for the fouling and will do a great job of removing corrosive salts until you can do a hot water flush.

When you get home after your range session, you'll want to pump some hot water through the bbl and nipple to remove the corrosive salts (I use a tight fitting patch on a range rod or ramrod to do this). Dry the bbl thoroughly with patches and use some bore butter or similar on a follow up patch to protect the bore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that is a flask. I have one just like it.

The package stated that the funnel/nipple was for measuring and the valve at the junction of the flask and funnel cut off the funnel from the flask once the funnel was filled, thus allowing you to pour the contents of the funnel into the rifle without adding any extra from the flask and allowing for accurate measuring. But, if this is not the case I'm glad you told me before I made a big mistake!

I have 5, 45, 2-50's, 54, and 12 gauge side by side..I would strongly recommend hooking up with someone..Get pointers from a seasoned vet..If you were here I would be more than happy to help you out..I only use Goex Powder..But I have been shooting for 45 yrs. Enjoy but always start at the low end weight wise with a powder charge. Good Luck.

I wish I was around the GA area too! Unfortunately I had to move to Tacoma, WA this summer. I've found a few fellow shooters around here, but no muzzle loaders yet.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this!

Back
Top Bottom