• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Time Muzzle Loader

The package stated that the funnel/nipple was for measuring and the valve at the junction of the flask and funnel cut off the funnel from the flask once the funnel was filled, thus allowing you to pour the contents of the funnel into the rifle without adding any extra from the flask and allowing for accurate measuring. But, if this is not the case I'm glad you told me before I made a big mistake!

Well, technically, I guess you could consider the flask's funnel a measure. But how do you know how much it's throwing? And it's not adjustable, which is a problem.

Start with 50 grains (light field load) and shoot 5 shots. Work up in 5 gr increments until you find the sweet spot. My .50 Thompson Hawken shoots round balls best at around 80-85 gr of FFF black powder. I won't go above that with FFF because it generates higher pressure than FF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, technically, I guess you could consider the flask's funnel a measure. But how do you know how much it's throwing? And it's not adjustable, which is a problem.

Start with 50 grains (light field load) and shoot 5 shots. Work up in 5 gr increments until you find the sweet spot. My .50 Thompson Hawken shoots round balls best at around 80-85 gr of FFF black powder. I won't go above that with FFF because it generates higher pressure than FF.

According to the package the funnel is 30 grains. But, after reading all of your advice I think I'm going to go the safe route and get a dedicated measuring funnel.

Took it to the range today.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your advice!

We had a couple of issues initially, but once we figured out how to clean the nipple after each shot it was a breeze, and an absolute joy to shoot!

The flask I have does have a 30 grain funnel, but I took y'alls advice and got an adjustable funnel.

It's official, I'm hooked on muzzle loading!

20170128_114752.jpg

Back
Top Bottom