• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time reloader

Lorentzoe45

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
220   0
Reaction score
I'm a younger guy and most of the guys who I know reload are a lot older and wiser....I think. Can Yall tell me if you really same a lot of money by reloading 9mm/45acp/556. Please give me some input of what you actually can reload 1000 rounds of those calibers for. Even if it isn't that much cheaper Id like to have the skill and tools to do so if and when there is another ammo famine

I do 9's, .40's, .45 Colt pistol and .223, .270 & .30/.30 rifle.

Besides learning a new skill, you will save money.
9's for example come out to about $6 for a box of 50.
I can make better .223 ammo than I can afford to buy.
In many cases you will find you shoot more and there goes some of the savings.
All in all it's a really nice hobby.

It's very enjoyable and my friends and I call it therapy.

Ballpark numbers- I save about 50% on standard stuff like 115 grain 9mm rounds. More on subsonic 147 grain and other "specialty" rounds.

I can save a little more on .45ACP because it's not that much more expensive to reload, but the factory rounds are considerably more expensive than 115 grain 9mms.

If you want to add it up- figure three cents for a primer, about a penny for powder in pistol rounds, and whatever your projectile costs. I use a lot of plated Ranier bullets- prices are on Midway and other sites.

Ballpark numbers- I save about 50% on standard stuff like 115 grain 9mm rounds. More on subsonic 147 grain and other "specialty" rounds.

I can save a little more on .45ACP because it's not that much more expensive to reload, but the factory rounds are considerably more expensive than 115 grain 9mms.

If you want to add it up- figure three cents for a primer, about a penny for powder in pistol rounds, and whatever your projectile costs. I use a lot of plated Ranier bullets- prices are on Midway and other sites.

What is your setup consist of? Like what all do I need? I'm very new to the idea

I dont think I've ever met anyone who saves money reloading. They just shoot more.
Also what's your time worth?

Just FYI it WAS and still IS in many cases also a component famine.

Setup... oh goodness. I started with my Dad's hand-me-down RCBS JR2. Single stage press, Uniflow powder measure, powder scale, dial calipers, a Lyman tumbler, RCBS case trimmer (only really needed for rifle rounds), and probably a bunch of little stuff I'm forgetting about. I'd recommend finding a Speer reloading manual. They have very good information about what you need and the reloading process. Other people recommend other books, but I've always used Speer as the standard (not for any good reason other than that was Dad's go to book). Currently I read what everyone has to offer- Sierra, Hornady, Speer, RCBS, Alliant, Vivathouri (I'm sure I misspelled that one), etc.

Currently I'm reloading about eight calibers on a Dillon 550B with a mix of RCBS ancillary equipment.

Oh- and you don't need the latest edition of any reloading book to read about the process and equipment. I have not checked, but I'm sure you could find a used reloading manual on Ebay or some such site for pretty cheap. I might also check on some of the previously mentioned manufacturers websites and see what they have to say. I'd expect there's some good free info out there too.

Reloading isn't difficult, but it is precise. Check everything when you're starting out to be sure you're making good ammo. Don't get in a hurry and you should be fine... but again, check everything until you're completely sure of what your equipment is turning out. I don't do detailed quality checks but about every hundred rounds or so now, but I've made a bunch of rounds.

Setup... oh goodness. I started with my Dad's hand-me-down RCBS JR2. Single stage press, Uniflow powder measure, powder scale, dial calipers, a Lyman tumbler, RCBS case trimmer (only really needed for rifle rounds), and probably a bunch of little stuff I'm forgetting about. I'd recommend finding a Speer reloading manual. They have very good information about what you need and the reloading process. Other people recommend other books, but I've always used Speer as the standard (not for any good reason other than that was Dad's go to book). Currently I read what everyone has to offer- Sierra, Hornady, Speer, RCBS, Alliant, Vivathouri (I'm sure I misspelled that one), etc.

Currently I'm reloading about eight calibers on a Dillon 550B with a mix of RCBS ancillary equipment.

Oh- and you don't need the latest edition of any reloading book to read about the process and equipment. I have not checked, but I'm sure you could find a used reloading manual on Ebay or some such site for pretty cheap. I might also check on some of the previously mentioned manufacturers websites and see what they have to say. I'd expect there's some good free info out there too.

Reloading isn't difficult, but it is precise. Check everything when you're starting out to be sure you're making good ammo. Don't get in a hurry and you should be fine... but again, check everything until you're completely sure of what your equipment is turning out. I don't do detailed quality checks but about every hundred rounds or so now, but I've made a bunch of rounds.
Awesome! Thanks for that information. What would be the best machine for my needs?

The more you load, the more you save (that's if you can find component in stock). Finding them can be a hassle and you must invest in a bunch to make hazard material fee worth it u less you buy it from local store. Like everything in life, you got to spend money to make money. Depending on what you want later, I would start with that. I wanted multi stage press but everyone recommended single stage to start out. Well I figured might as well get the multi stage and just set it up as single stage so I can get the experience and error/trial down before I start mass producing rounds. Also depends on what you loading for? I'm loading for plinking ammo and hunting ammo. Most people prefer single stage for hunting rounds. Single stage allows you more attention in each part of the process.

Back
Top Bottom