• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time THIS has happened....

Wear your safety glasses Boys and Girls....

This weekend, I was running the Chronograph stage at the state USPSA match. I had to pull a bullet to weigh it for my first shooter on Saturday. Put the cartridge into a kinetic bullet puller and hit it on a wood bench sitting next to me. The round detonated and shards of plastic, the collet, primer, and case went everywhere.

Luckily, everyone in the area had glasses on and I wasn't standing over it when it happened.

Over 35 years of doing this. Hundreds (if not thousands) of bullets pulled in my shop and while doing matches, and this is the first in-puller detonation that I've heard of, let alone experienced.
Thanks for sharing this. I do not pull many, but this will definitely make me think when I do.

It’s rare but it does happen. Generally it’s a bad primer/damaged primer but good reminder to always wear eye protection and remember your dealing with something that can go boom.

I always wear safety glasses when using the puller even if no primer is present. Also wear when handling primers or powder and loading.

I was using my RCBS puller a few months back on the same end of 6x6 block I have been using for years and the head of the puller snapped off, piece hit me in head and other flew way up above me. Safety glasses did their job. Sent in to RCBS and they sent me a new one.

Rosewood

I have pulled over 10k and never seen or heard of this until now.
WOW!!!
I wonder what set off the primer? Does sound like some kind of fluke. But knowing it can happen makes you a little nervous when you start pulling bullets apart.
Glad no one was injured.
This is what I was thinking exactly. What primers were you using?

I pulled about 5 .223 rounds last night, No eye pro anywhere in sight... (no pun intended)

Back
Top Bottom