• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Time Turkey Hunting

Never been hunting. Decided I'd start with Turkey's. Question for those in the know. I understand Turkey's have good eye sight and see color, but is it worth fretting over a specific camo pattern? I.e. would they notice the difference in a shadow grass v bottomland etc? I've found what I think is a good deal for a new Mossberg 835 ulti mag in shadowgrass... but understand it's a waterfowl pattern.
Hell they'll never see you if you shootem from the car on the road.

Hell they'll never see you if you shootem from the car on the road.

Oh my that's a GREAT idea! I see them all the time around here when I'm driving. I will need to practice my mv shotgun shooting skills. Maybe I can use my tow mirrors for support? Any suggestions where I could practice this skill around 45mph?

Turkey hunting is an absolute blast, it's a chess game with one of the smartest animals in the woods. Get you a GOOD box call and a glass and slate call and that should be plenty to start with. I use the box call the most and have had really good luck the Lynch fool proof. Be prepared for heartache and disappointment but when you finally close the deal you will feel like you earned it. For me I seem to have great luck hunting in the late morning on into the early afternoon after the gobblers have split up from the hens. Also don't call too much when the bird first comes into to you, they'll hang up waiting on the hen turkey to close the distance. Think of it as making them come seek you out. Be prepared to walk A LOT stopping every 75-100 yards to call. Just do a few few yelps no need to absolutely hammer down. Good luck and I hope you can bag your first one this year. Where do you plan on hunting?

I'm not 100% yet, it will be public land though. I'm not a member of any club, nor do I know anyone with private land or have anyone to hunt with. Honestly I dont expect much this year except to get out in the woods and try to learn some sounds/behaviors so I'm all eyes/ears.

If you have suggestions I'm clearly in need. Do you recommend anywhere specific?

Oh my that's a GREAT idea! I see them all the time around here when I'm driving. I will need to practice my mv shotgun shooting skills. Maybe I can use my tow mirrors for support? Any suggestions where I could practice this skill around 45mph?
Round a bouts will make you a marksman in notime.lol

Thank goodness now all these previously pointless roundabouts that's been installed near me have a purpose. Now I just need that roof mount rack installed.

Well I've relied on the supermarket this far... what's the harm in sitting in the woods hoping to get lucky... lol

Btw Bear what big game have you taken? Which species did you set records with?
Enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed. Just have fun being out there.

Whitetail deer
Impala
Zebra
Blue Wildebeest (SCI)
Bush Buck
Warthog
Wild Hog
Eland (SCI)
Kudu (SCI)
Cape Buffalo

Oops, I counted wrong. That's ten species. Eleven if you count Turkey as big game.

I didn't set any records. There are minimum scores for a trophy to be recorded in the SCI logs of exceptional animals. Three of the animals I have taken met or exceeded those minimums. That's what's meant by "Made the record books".

Back
Top Bottom