• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Time Turkey Hunting

Enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed. Just have fun being out there.

Whitetail deer
Impala
Zebra
Blue Wildebeest (SCI)
Bush Buck
Warthog
Wild Hog
Eland (SCI)
Kudu (SCI)
Cape Buffalo

Oops, I counted wrong. That's ten species. Eleven if you count Turkey as big game.

I didn't set any records. There are minimum scores for a trophy to be recorded in the SCI logs of exceptional animals. Three of the animals I have taken met or exceeded those minimums. That's what's meant by "Made the record books".
Bear, did you take all those with bow?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Never been hunting. Decided I'd start with Turkey's. Question for those in the know. I understand Turkey's have good eye sight and see color, but is it worth fretting over a specific camo pattern? I.e. would they notice the difference in a shadow grass v bottomland etc? I've found what I think is a good deal for a new Mossberg 835 ulti mag in shadowgrass... but understand it's a waterfowl pattern.
Me too, Dr. I have hunted deer and hog, but this will be my first season with turkeys. Glad I saw your post. Reading the advice. I'm gonna try with a crossbow. Wish us both luck.

I bought a bow last year, but i dont feel proficient enough to hunt with it yet, I may try it for deer season this year... also my first time for deer. Good luck.

Never been hunting. Decided I'd start with Turkey's. Question for those in the know. I understand Turkey's have good eye sight and see color, but is it worth fretting over a specific camo pattern? I.e. would they notice the difference in a shadow grass v bottomland etc? I've found what I think is a good deal for a new Mossberg 835 ulti mag in shadowgrass... but understand it's a waterfowl pattern.
Get ready to be humbled by some thunder chickens

I would leave the bows at home and tote the shotgun. The only thing worth eating on a wild turkey is the breast and I would hate to mess that up shooting an arrow through it. Trust me their hard enough to kill with a shotgun.

I bought a bow last year, but i dont feel proficient enough to hunt with it yet, I may try it for deer season this year... also my first time for deer. Good luck.
I killed my first deer with a bow. It was just a small doe, but completely unforgettable. My advice for bow hunting is to not decide to take the shot until just before you do. You need to have a revelation while you are at full draw. "Hey! I can make this shot!" Be ready and willing to let them walk unless you're sure. Don't push it.

You'll let a lot of deer walk. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom