• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Turkey Hunt *Up Dated*

Be still. Like said don't over call. Be still and camo everything. Use bug spray. Did I say be still.

The most underrated and overlooked call is scratching in the leaves. Find a good size stick laying beside you and get to rustling the leaves around. In my opinion you can’t make to much noise doing this.

For instance, one yr I had a gobbler that roosted on my property line every am. He would fly down and go to the neighbor’s food plot. I bet I worked that bird 5 or 10 times and he would never leave the plot. He was pissing me off so bad I was ready to go over there, and set up on the neighbors place. (No they didn’t care) But, there was a big creek separating us, and it was a heck of a walk to get to that plot.

I shared my story with an older gentlemen that was eating lunch at a local dinner one day after hunting. He said “young man you aren’t scratching in the leaves are you? Quit calling at him when he’s out there strutting and scratch those leaves. He will come.” The next morning that bird died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well went out yesterday afternoon and this morning for my first hunt. Found a good spot with some brush coverage against a tree and good visibility of the field. Had two show up but stayed about 150-200 yards out and never crossed this creek to my side of the field. I would call they would look and never come to my side. Called about 1 every 10 min. So next morning decided to go to the side of the field. I got at 5:30 and at day break had 3-4 roosted in the trees around me. Saw the hen in a pine tree about 80 yard out and 2 Jake’s fly out of the trees about the same distance. Tried calling them but the stayed in the woods and never came to the field. She took off first and they followed over the hill. Got her to cluck back some but she went off the other direction. Thinking my cover was not as good and they saw me or my calling cause the problem.

Well went out yesterday afternoon and this morning for my first hunt. Found a good spot with some brush coverage against a tree and good visibility of the field. Had two show up but stayed about 150-200 yards out and never crossed this creek to my side of the field. I would call they would look and never come to my side. Called about 1 every 10 min. So next morning decided to go to the side of the field. I got at 5:30 and at day break had 3-4 roosted in the trees around me. Saw the hen in a pine tree about 80 yard out and 2 Jake’s fly out of the trees about the same distance. Tried calling them but the stayed in the woods and never came to the field. She took off first and they followed over the hill. Got her to cluck back some but she went off the other direction. Thinking my cover was not as good and they saw me or my calling cause the problem.
Jake decoy and hen decoy will get you a turkey in that field.put out before daylight with a couple clucks after fly down and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom