• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

fish tanks-freshwater

so far the guppies still havent given birth that im aware of. i added 10 new ghost shrimp, havent noticed any dead ones. the only casualty is the smaller zebra snail i had (not sure how it died).

the pleco, tetras, and other guppies are doing great

so far the guppies still havent given birth that im aware of. i added 10 new ghost shrimp, havent noticed any dead ones. the only casualty is the smaller zebra snail i had (not sure how it died).

the pleco, tetras, and other guppies are doing great

im not sure if zebra snails do this, but i know mystery snails sometimes lock themselves in their shells for several days to a week and dont move and can appear dead. if its foot is still firm in its shells its probably still alive, just put them at the front of the tank and watch for movement. a dead snails foot will almost fall out when picked up (and probably fall completely out its shell), and if you take them out and smell them a dead snail smells like death lol, a live snail has almost no smell.

GL on the guppy babies! sometimes they eat them and sometimes they leave them alone to grow up lol. add a bunch of thick hiding places for the babies if you want a better survival rate! fake plant carpets and thick areas of thin plants work great!

BAD889A2-6F57-4366-A18F-598D0F7641D5.jpeg
1F458A97-5546-483C-A90F-7EE03287DF88.jpeg

Guppy about to give birth?

wow thats a nice looking guppy there. love the black and gold combo (GO ARMY! haha). could be about to give birth, could of just stuffed her fat mouth if you just fed them lol. it does look preggo though, maybe a few days/week from dropping fry. they will get even more bloated looking right before they pop lol.

i would for sure get a prefilter for your filter though. filters will suck up babies easy. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/intake-sponges/products/medium-pre-filter-sponge plus its more bio media area so you can cram more fish in there haha.

and for an even better chance, you can drop your female in one of these before shes about to pop then take her back out after she drops the fry https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/penn-plax-deluxe-net-breeder they sell these at petsmart/petco also. its actually less stressful for her also as other guppies like to annoy a female while shes giving birth and eat the fry right as she drops them.

I was finally able to get ahold of some more emperor tetras and peacock gudgeons for my tank woohoo. i rearranged my tank again after they settled in lol. im a constant re arranger, i can only stand a setup for so long before i want to do something else haha. wish i had a extra tank for when the peacocks breed i could try and save them lol. happy with my current stocking, the one thing if i saw i would buy right now is a pair of clown killifish.

Put a couple of paradise fish in there and watch them "dance" with each other. Like everyone said, be very careful with lobsters or anything with claws as they will eat your fish. For something different, get a couple of the frogs to mix things up.

been really slacking on my water changes lately......i had to kick my ass to get back up on it when i lost 2 of my peacock gudgeons, a khuli loach (one if my first fish i bought since i got back into fish keeping), one of my emperor tetras and one of my new additions green neon tetras (although it just may not have survived acclimation stress) in the past few days. did a 80 percent change then doing another 50 this weekend.

do your water changes people lol.

i did make a baffle out of a plastic cup today so my hob filter stops blowing my sand around without me placing my driftwood or something there to stop it. so far working pretty good.

i think the only fish i couldnt pass up right now would be a pair of Apisto agassizii gold fire reds, or just fire reds. i just hope if i ever find them in a fish store the gf aint with me as they probably wont be cheap lol.

Back
Top Bottom